Windows XP trouble

CSx-2011

[H]ard|Gawd
This is on my brother's computer so I have no idea what abuse he has dished out to it.

Anyway, the problem is that after a reboot (was working fine he says) it started saying cannot find a dll for an hpsomething.exe (I think for his fax/scanner). Also CPU usage is at 100% all the time, unless you can get it to open windows explorer. Then it will drop down to 60-70% sometimes, or all the way down to 1-5%. Then it stopped booting all the way after a few reboots and would stay at the xp splash screen.

I reinstalled windows over his old version so he can at least try to save some of his files. It still eats up all the cpu cycles (96-98%)under system in task manager. He won't let me format it and do a fresh install which he is in need of. (been on one install for years)

He says virus scan found no viruses with the latest updates, etc, etc.

I'm stumped.

Have you looked under "Processes" in task manager to establish which process is causing the problem?

if it's trying to find hpsomething.exe did you try reinstalling printer software for it ?

I said that "system" was taking up about 96-98%. It was under 300k.

No, I don't think he tried putting the hp software on again.

And I don't think he would be able to if he tried. It takes two minutes to get task manager to come up and about 12 seconds just for right click.

Back