Windows XP Sysprep

nst6563

2[H]4U
Anyone have experience with this? I've made the answer file for a fully automated setup which includes the inputting of the XP license #. I've run sysprep with the options "do not reset avtivation period" and "mini-setup" and the -activated command switch. However, when the system restarts, it asks for the XP license number. Is there a way around this? I thought the sysprep.inf file which has the licens # included took care of that portion and you would simply see the mini-setup and complete that.

in short, all I want is for the machine to generate new sids and have mini-setup to show up and not ask for the license #. That way I can generate an image and deploy these machines faster.

thx

unattended.msfn.org everything you EVER wanted to know about unattended installations is in here. Sysprep is one way to do it, but there are other ways as well. Imaging is definately faster for mass distrubution, but for something you can keep up to date without necessarily being specific to any one hardware scheme... this is great stuff.

that sticky would prove useful, IF it provided an answer to my scenario, which it does't. I've already been to most of those links, but will browse the ones that I haven't.

As I specifically stated, this image is for deployment, the sticky wasn't written for that. Although many points are still valid, it doesn't answer the question I originally had.

Many of use have used and are using the sticky for deployment, but the site above is a good resource as well.

On a side note, if your building images for deployment, you should be using a VLK version, eliminating your issue.

afaik, it is a vlk. corporate version of XP.

Unless I wasn't sent the right software with the machines. I'm not the person that made the first image that came on the machines, so i have no idea what they did...or if they did it right. I'm simply making changes specific to the center the machines are being deployed in and then "resealing" it to be put on all the machines (143 total).

I suppose it's possible that they used a normal XP Pro license and made the image that way...but at first bootup, it doesn't prompt for the license number. Maybe they did run sysprep and just imaged it???? dunno...

I've used sysprep many times before, and this is the first time I've come across this issue.
I even use it at home, and I'm not saying the guide is wrong or NOT useful...but just doesn't have the answer to my problem there.

As soon as you started mentioning the key and activation, I was wondering about the licensing. If you were using a corporate VLK version there would be no activation, and you could use the same key for each image. You might want to check on that, and if you buy your software from some 3rd party distributer, check with them as well.

OK, you have to get your terms right.

Is this VLK or not? It should to be for corporate use, not required, but VERY usefull.

If it is VLK, activation isn't necessary. However, the CD Key is still required. This can be coded into sysprep.inf

[UserData]
ProductKey=<your company's CD key>

If it isn't, I don't have direct experience with activation (all I really deal with is VLA), but I know there are options for that as well. Check out the links in the sticky article, IIRC there is a link in there to explain the sysprep options. If not, just edit sysprep.inf, and you can see what all answers you can provide to the mini-setup wizard.

The sysprep.inf has all the answers, i made it fresh with the setupmgr using the sysprep.inf option. I can post the sysprep.inf if that would help.

Is there a place in the registry that I can look to verify if it IS an actual corporate version or not?? I would assume it IS a corporate version which doesn't require activation, but I never know with this place (they have done dumber things in the past). We have too many machines to NOT be a corporate version and have a volume license.

I tried the activation switches in sysprep just because I was out of all the other options to try. When it boots up, it does in fact ask for a Volume License number.

As far as the sysprep options, I've read M$'s pages on it multiple times trying to figure this one out...

just curious but you did unzip the sysprep tools to the c drive in a folder named sysprep. cause this is where windows looks for the sysprep awnser file when it reboots then once it has all of its info the sysprep folder is deleated.

yes, I put the files in a folder c:\sysprep.

BUT! come to find out, I was given the wrong license code to put in...so now I need to go strangle someone and find out the right code :mad: . I think once I have the right code, it will work like it should.

Is there any way to determine the code from the base image?

If the image is installed on a PC, you can run Magic Jellybean's Keyfinder to get the code.

The keyfinder worked like a charm. Awsome tool...thanks for the heads up on it.

That in fact helped me resolve the issue. It was all b/c they gave me the wrong key. Now that I have the right key, it flows through like it should.

If windows would actually inform you that the key supplied was invalid,...I could have gotten to this point quicker :p

thanks guys.

nst6563 said:
The keyfinder worked like a charm. Awsome tool...thanks for the heads up on it.

That in fact helped me resolve the issue. It was all b/c they gave me the wrong key. Now that I have the right key, it flows through like it should.

If windows would actually inform you that the key supplied was invalid,...I could have gotten to this point quicker :p

thanks guys.
It did, it asked for a valid key during mini-setup. Obviously if it's asking, it didn't like the one in the answer file. ;)

It did ask...but it didn't say it was invalid...which was my point. Which also leaves some questions unanswered such as is sysprep in the right folder? problem in the .inf file? wrong options selected? etc...
If you enter the key in manually, it will tell you it's invalid...why doesn't M$ add this same error checking/error reporting into the mini-setup/welcome screen that gets answers from sysprep.inf or another automated file???

Back