Windows XP style User Locking in Windows 7

Rampage1329

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm implementing a global policy that all computers lock after ten minutes. I was wondering is there a way to enable the old school way of locking, so when the user unlocks their computer the username is still there.

Are you talking about what it looks like when a machine is joined to a domain?

nah in xp when you lock the computer. The user name remains, but in windows 7 it disappears.

I have never seen that, whenever I lock my machines (home and office) my user name stays. What do you mean by disappears?

Office: Yes. Home: No.

Can you take a picture of what you are talking about? I am just having a hard time understanding what you mean by disappear. You should be able to just come back, type in a password and off you go.

Ok, it looks like I'm mistaken. The previous IT company has it so you can't tell who is logged in. So there is no username across windows 7 or xp. I thought this was a Windows 7 thing.

You need to go into the Group Policy Editor either locally or through Group Policy Management for a domain to implement this.

gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Interactive logon: Display user information when the session is locked

3 options available when enabled:
- User display name, domains and user names
- User display name only
- Do not display user information

You need to go into the Group Policy Editor either locally or through Group Policy Management for a domain to implement this.

gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Interactive logon: Display user information when the session is locked

3 options available when enabled:
- User display name, domains and user names
- User display name only
- Do not display user information

Does this need to be applied to a computer, or can i set it to apply to domain users when they login? I'm kind of new to GPM. Well it looks like i have to apply it to computers. Which isn't a problem, this will be great. Users have been complaining about this for a while, and i've sort of just blown them off.

Last edited:
Under Security Filtering for the GPO, Authenticated Users is the default group. This should be sufficient for your needs.

Back