Windows XP stopped recognizing usb ports

Darundal

Limp Gawd
Hi, anyone ever had Windows stop recognizing USB ports before? I know the ports still work because when I boot into Ubuntu, everything works fine (external drives, printer, etc...) but in Windows nothing happens when I plug something in,. No automatic recognition, no mounting, no nothing. I tried reinstalling the proper driver for my motherboard (d916gag) but that didn't help at all. Anyone have any ideas?

I've had similar problems where thumbdrives are concerned in this company. Some thumbdrives doesn't like being reassigned drive letters after our users log into our network drives.

Before tearing your USB drivers apart, plug in your USB external drive, then rightclick on My Computer and select Manage.

Then go to Disk Management under Storage, and see if your external drive is listed.

If it is, then we know it's not a driver problem. Merely give it a new drive letter assignment.

As for your printer not working, There was a bug with one of the Windows Media Player 11 hotfix that disables printer spools. Try uninstalling KB926239, and see if your printer works.

Well, right now, I don't have an external drive to test with. The problem wasn't just with external drives, it was also with the printer (I will try your fix for that) and an Xbox 360 controller.

Back