Windows XP Still No. 2 Operating System

B-b-b-but Windows 8.1 fixed "all" the problems with Windows 8. How could so many not see that a poorly implemented tablet interface is the best way to run 99%+ of traditional desktop systems?

B-b-b-but this is a Windows XP thread. How could you not see a properly implemented thread title in you browser. :D

Don't care what new OS these XP people upgrade too, they just to need to move on if the machine is Internet facing. I have no idea what they're doing about all the ATM's?

Should not really need to do anything with these ATM machines. After all, if ATM machines are internet connected, they are doing it wrong.

just use linux, even though there is a gui most the instructions have you running command line to install or uninstall things.
this is funny though, the #2 operating system is windows xp. wait for the windows 8/8.1 lovers, when they show up they will correct this story.

Wow, that did not take long to attack folks, now did it. :rolleyes: That is ok, you go back to your command line only OS and enjoy.

I'm not sure you understand what a killer app is. Iterations of existing products aren't necessarily going to vault people over the fascination threshold. Touch based Office intended for Microsoft's nonexistent mobile products will mean fuckall to hundreds of millions of Windows desktop users that do not have touch hardware. A newgen Internet Explorer will mean nothing to businesses since it breaks IE backward compatibility, and will mean nothing to consumers before it has demonstrated it does anything better than Chrome or Firefox.

So they'll need to keep trying I'm afraid - and no amount of changing the name of metro apps - modern apps - windows store apps - universal apps - and whatever it'll be next week, is going to change desktop users minds and get them using sluggish smartphone apps on their desktops that are inferior to Win32 counterparts.

Wow, cool dude, you got owned and yet, you still go on like all is right with your point of view. I think folks would take you more seriously if were not so blatantly in your face biased. Why do you even bother using an OS you so clearly hate?

4-1-15 (not an April Fools joke) a customer called because Outlook 2010 was "just too different and frustrating", he wanted 2003 back. People want what makes them happy. Windows 8.x didn't make a lot of people happy. New versions that are different just for the sake of change aren't universally accepted with open arms. When I worked at a hospital in the IT department Windows 98se was the machine of the day. The majority of those machines were used for purposes other than browsing the internet. Not everyone can be painted with the same brush. 7 is going to be around and popular for a very long time.

What does this have to do with what he was saying about killer apps in Windows 10? Nothing.

I did make the jump from 7 to 8.1 on my main machine.

As long as the stupid metro crap stays away I am fine. Using classic shell on it. If metro was not suppressible I would rather use XP. :p
I am not excited about 10(nor was I with 8) and that really sucks.

I cant imagine using XP anymore. Win7 is great, Win 8.1 is good when you get use to it. Win10 looks great so far as well.

Hardware requirements increased that pretty much caused systems without certain cpu instructions to be not supported. Dumb move by microsoft. Amd sockets 939/940 and back are not supported for 64 bit in 8.1 but in 8.0 they are supported. Forced to use 32 bit version of 8.1. You can't even upgrade to the 32 bit version from the 64 bit without reinstalling everything. Includes some intel core 2 quads and pentium 4 cpus and back also. Motherboards with older on board video cards are not supported on 8 and higher also. Xddm support was removed so that removed a lot of legacy support for older video card drivers before vista. Legacy support for windows 8, 8.1, and 10 is very poor. A lot of these systems are very capable for what they are used for still. Bad decisions mostly.

Then just continue to use the OS that the machine came with, problem solved. Support for some things had to be removed or trimmed otherwise, bloated and slow is what we would get. Dropping support for nearly 10+ year old hardware is a good thing.

Mark Russinovich at ChefConf said this:

But one day, the company could “open source” the code that underpins the OS—giving it away for free. So says Mark Russinovich, one of the company’s top engineers.

“It’s definitely possible,” Russinovich says. “It’s a new Microsoft.”
But this is what Russinovich expects. “That’s the reality we live in today,” he says. The tech world has changed in enormous ways. So many companies—so many Microsoft customers—are now relying on open source code. And that means Microsoft must embrace it too. As Russinovich points out, the company now allows Linux on its Azure cloud computing service, a way of renting computers over the internet, and today, Linux is running on at least 20 percent of those computers.

It’s quite a change for Microsoft, so long the bete noir of the open source community. But as Russinovich explains, it’s a necessary change. And given how popular Linux has become, Microsoft could go even further, not only allowing open source software on its cloud services, but actually turning Windows into open source software. “Every conversation you can imagine about what should we do with our software—open versus not-open versus services—has happened,” he says.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/microsoft-open-source-windows-definitely-possible/

I don't think he would say that for no reason, or off the top of his head. While the client will almost certainly stay mostly closed source, it would make sense for MS to offer a minimal server config as open source in the not too distant future. Keeping some core components closed source or only available in a non-free version would protect the small business/enterprise server revenue.

blah blah blah, your opinion is worthless unless you love Windows 8.

A "Killer App" is something that people must have because it's that much better, cooler, easier, whatever term suits the individual. How cool something is to you doesn't change the opinion of the user that loves the older version and doesn't like change. Old dog, new tricks and all that.

I'm amazed how long Windows XP has come so far, even today. I blame Microsoft for not putting enough innovation on their latest OS's which is one of the main reasons people still use XP.

A "Killer App" is something that people must have because it's that much better, cooler, easier, whatever term suits the individual. How cool something is to you doesn't change the opinion of the user that loves the older version and doesn't like change. Old dog, new tricks and all that.

Hey, you got what I said right except for the having to love Windows 8 part. :D You were wrong, life goes on. :) Well, at least you admit that folks such as yourself hated Windows 8 strictly because of the change itself and not any legitimate, technical reason. :D

You redefined killer app, blah, blah, blah, your opinion is worthless unless you agree with me. :rolleyes:

Mark Russinovich at ChefConf said this:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/microsoft-open-source-windows-definitely-possible/

I don't think he would say that for no reason, or off the top of his head. While the client will almost certainly stay mostly closed source, it would make sense for MS to offer a minimal server config as open source in the not too distant future. Keeping some core components closed source or only available in a non-free version would protect the small business/enterprise server revenue.

I prefer the stability of the closed source OS. I prefer this over the throw anything you want at it and hope it sticks that a lot of the open source OS community seems to have. (At least on the desktop, not so much the servers although, a lot of the server base comes from the paid professionals anyways.)

Back