Windows XP SP2 is out on beta site?

Schadenfroh

Limp Gawd
Text

also is on msfn's front page, went gold this morning
Text

Final testing is complete and at 10:08am this morning we signed off on build 2180 as Windows XP Service Pack 2, releasing it to manufacturing. The final build will be available to beta sites immediately at http://windowsbeta.microsoft.com/download/dl3.asp. You will find both English and German versions there, Japanese will follow early next week.

Next week the service pack will be available on the Microsoft Download Center for general download. In the interim we're making the update available to you via the beta web site.

If you are running RC2, or any other build released to beta sites, we invite you to turn on Automatic Updates, and starting on August 10th your system will automatically download the express version of Windows XP SP2. For typical home users this is about a 75 MB download; for those on RC2 it should be less than 30 MB. As soon as the background download is complete, you will be prompted to install SP2 and to accept the EULA (SP2 does not install automatically even if Automatic Updates is set to automatically install security updates). If you have a modem connection, don't "Cancel" the update once it's in progress; just disconnect and when you reconnect later, it will automatcially pick up where it left off until it completes.

Torrent Download (MSFN guys says this is the final version that is digigally signed), make sure the one you download meets these criteria .

Man, there are so many shenanigans going on with this right now, I don't even know what to think.

so is this the official final release of sp2 or is it still beta? because if it was released wouldnt it be on windows update?

Only people who have access to the beta site can attempt to download it and verify that information.

The link one of the posters provided on MSFN website is still the beta version.

If you are running RC2, or any other build released to beta sites, we invite you to turn on Automatic Updates, and starting on August 10th your system will automatically download the express version of Windows XP SP2. For typical home users this is about a 75 MB download; for those on RC2 it should be less than 30 MB. As soon as the background download is complete, you will be prompted to install SP2 and to accept the EULA (SP2 does not install automatically even if Automatic Updates is set to automatically install security updates). If you have a modem connection, don't "Cancel" the update once it's in progress; just disconnect and when you reconnect later, it will automatcially pick up where it left off until it completes.

I'll be getting it on the 10th. I wonder if the setup will uninstall RC2 and then put SP2 on there.

I also just saw that if you have RC2, the download will only be 30 MG. I guess we don't have to uninstall after all.

Its also AMD 64bit edition, someone at MS screwed up the link. Its now down for maintenance. :rolleyes:

Im back from slipstreaming and formating, here are some PICS

DX system
DX files
About IE
about outlook
winver
about windows media player

anything anybody want a pic of in this thing?

Where did you download the final version of SP2 from?

ComputerBox34 said:
Yes, 2600 is the final version.

is the link for bit torrent the final version ? or do you have a link ?

Torrent Download (MSFN guys says this is the final version that is digigally signed)

Mitolo said:
is the link for bit torrent the final version ? or do you have a link ?

Torrent Download (MSFN guys says this is the final version that is digigally signed)

I dont have the link and I did not post a link for the torrent version. THe thread starter did. Ask him.

ComputerBox34 said:
Where did you download the final version of SP2 from?
from the bit torrent i linked, the guys at msfn got that from microsoft and turned it into a bit torrent and gave it out, i was one of the original people to get it, i got it from the first guy to get it from microsoft, so im 2nd in the order of middlemen

Schadenfroh said:
from the bit torrent i linked, the guys at msfn got that from microsoft and turned it into a bit torrent and gave it out, i was one of the original people to get it, i got it from the first guy to get it from microsoft, so im 2nd in the order of middlemen
so its the real deal then ?

Any one got a good step by step site "link please" for slip-streaming sp2 and using nero to do it thanks.

you sure? i just got my slashdot email about how they delayed this again. i don't plan to go sp2 any time soon from the sound of the /. crowd...

unhappy_mage said:
you sure? i just got my slashdot email about how they delayed this again. i don't plan to go sp2 any time soon from the sound of the /. crowd...

Did you even bother to read the thread. :rolleyes:

Ryokurin said:

Microsoft Releases Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies to Computer ManufacturersCompany

Company Urges Windows XP Customers to Turn on Automatic Updates to Get the Stronger Security, Greater Manageability and Improved Experiences of Landmark Service Pack

REDMOND, Wash. - Aug. 6, 2004 -- Microsoft Corp. today announced the release to manufacturing of Windows® XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies. This free service pack delivers the latest security updates and innovations from Microsoft, establishes strong default security settings, and adds new proactive protection features that will help better safeguard computers from hackers, viruses and other security risks.

"Service Pack 2 is a significant step in delivering on our goal to help customers make their PCs better isolated and more resilient in the face of increasingly sophisticated attacks," said Bill Gates, chairman and chief software architect at Microsoft. "It is the result of sustained investments in innovation and extensive industry collaboration. It also reflects a broad recognition that as the security environment changes, the industry needs to work together to respond."

During the worldwide rollout of Service Pack 2, Microsoft will localize the software in 25 languages over the next two months and distribute it to computer manufacturers, enterprise customers and consumers through downloads, retail installation, free CDs and on new PCs. The easiest way for current Windows XP users to ensure they receive Service Pack 2 when it releases in their language is to simply turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP. Customers with Automatic Updates enabled will receive the latest security updates for Windows XP, along with updated installation software that will optimize the download experience of Service Pack 2 and all future updates to Windows XP. The timing for customers to receive the Service Pack 2 download through Automatic Updates depends on a number of factors, including the customer's Internet usage, location, language and the level of Internet demand for Service Pack 2. Automatic Updates uses spare Internet capacity to progressively download updates without interfering with daily PC use. Microsoft expects to distribute Service Pack 2 to approximately 100 million PCs through Automatic Updates over the next two months. Automatic Updates is easy to turn on in Windows XP, and details are available at http://www.microsoft.com/protect/.

Customers without reliable Internet connections who wish to obtain Service Pack 2 on CD can order a free disc from the Microsoft® Web site as Service Pack 2 is rolled out worldwide. Microsoft also is working with computer manufacturers to ensure they can make Windows XP-based PCs preloaded with Service Pack 2 available as soon as possible.

Businesses of all sizes should be evaluating Service Pack 2 now, if they have not begun doing so already. Business customers using Windows XP should deploy the service pack on their most important systems, especially notebooks and computers for home workers, as soon as is practical.

"With the proliferation of viruses and other broad threats on business and consumer desktops, I can think of no higher priority than trying to ensure the security of personal computers," said Rob Enderle, principal analyst for the Enderle Group. "Whether the customer is a large enterprise, a small business or an individual, Windows XP Service Pack 2 is critical because it addresses today's exposures in a comprehensive fashion. For anyone currently using Windows XP, my advice is to apply it at your earliest opportunity."

Service Pack 2 Provides Proactive Protection for Windows XP Customers

Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies was designed by Microsoft explicitly to provide proactive protection for Windows XP. The updates and enhancements in Service Pack 2 focus on three main areas:

* Stronger security settings. Service Pack 2 establishes stronger default security settings and includes updates with new features and tools designed to help customers better defend their systems and information from hackers, viruses and other security threats. This means safer browsing and communications for consumers plus an improved security infrastructure for businesses.
* Increased manageability and control. Service Pack 2 makes it easier to configure and manage security resources with new functionality, more accessible and intuitive security tools, and the new Windows Security Center.
* Improved and more-secure experiences. Service Pack 2 includes updates for key drivers, updated support for new technologies such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® - especially around security - and security updates for other key features, all of which provide a safer end-user experience and thus enable more productive and enjoyable computing.

Microsoft Joins With Customers and Industry Partners to Deliver Latest Enhancements

Service Pack 2 incorporates the results of significant customer testing. Microsoft has hosted more than 1 million downloads of test versions of Service Pack 2 through its technical preview, technical beta and MSDN® programs, making it one of the largest test programs in the company's history. In addition, Microsoft has tested thousands of applications and Windows XP-based devices for compatibility with Service Pack 2 and highly recommends the enhancements Service Pack 2 provides for all types of users.

Developing Service Pack 2 required close collaboration between Microsoft and other industry leaders, including software vendors, chip makers and PC manufacturers. Examples of the industry collaboration on Service Pack 2 include the following:

* Windows Security Center. Windows Security Center monitors the status of software Internet firewalls, Automatic Updates services and anti-virus software. It allows customers to see at a glance whether these essential security capabilities are turned on and up to date, or if additional actions need to be taken to better secure their PCs. Microsoft worked closely with ISVs to build the Windows Security Center customer experience.

"Now, more than ever, users need to be more hands-on in safeguarding their computers. Symantec supports Microsoft's efforts to raise security awareness among Windows users worldwide with the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2," said Stephen Cullen, senior vice president, Security Products and Solutions at Symantec. "Symantec's current line of industry-leading consumer and enterprise antivirus, firewall and intrusion prevention security solutions are compatible with Service Pack 2 and allow the mutual customers of Symantec and Microsoft to defend against today's blended security threats as well as the unknown threats of tomorrow."
* Data execution prevention. Service Pack 2 works with processor technologies to reduce the risk of the most common means of virus penetration into computer systems - exploiting "buffer overrun" vulnerabilities. Microsoft worked closely with processor manufacturers, including Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) and Intel Corporation to extend its Data Execution Prevention technology through new processor functionality.

"Intel and Microsoft have worked closely together to improve the overall security of the PC platform by bringing Execute Disable Bit and Microsoft's Data Execution Prevention to mainstream desktops and workstations. These are the first components of a broad security effort by our two companies," said Louis Burns, vice president and general manager of the Desktop Platforms Group at Intel. "These new technologies will be available in PCs this fall and are an excellent choice for businesses that are looking to improve the security of their infrastructure."

"With today's release of Microsoft's Windows XP Service Pack 2, the millions of users who have purchased AMD Athlon 64 desktop and mobile processors can rest assured they have the industry's most formidable protection against certain computer viruses," said Hector Ruiz, chairman of the board, president and CEO of AMD. "Our longstanding collaboration with Microsoft enables AMD's industry-leading Enhanced Virus Protection technology to put the computer user back in control."
* Preloaded PCs. Microsoft is working with computer manufacturers such as Dell, HP and IBM Corp. to ensure the manufacturers are able to ship machines preloaded with Windows XP Service Pack 2 beginning in September and October.

"The security enhancements in Windows XP Service Pack 2 represent a significant improvement for customers in helping them make their computers more secure and giving them more control," said Will Poole, senior vice president at Microsoft. "We encourage Windows XP users to spend five minutes today and visit http://www.microsoft.com/protect/ to turn on Automatic Updates, thus ensuring they will receive Service Pack 2 as it becomes available on a global basis."

unhappy_mage said:

If SP2 is anything like RC2, I recommend it to anyone.

Back