Windows XP: Retail Vs. OEM Vs. Upgrade Keys

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I have quite a few customers where I end up having to reinstall Windows XP on their systems. However, most have lost their restore CD's. I know you can call the company they bought the PC's from for recovery CD's... but a lot of my customers do not want to go through that hassle.

I remember talking to a Microsoft rep that said it was fine for me to us a Windows XP All-In-One CD as long as I use the original key which is normally on a sticker on the PC.

However, is there anyway to find out exactly what version of Windows the serial key is linked to such as Retail or OEM? Or do name brand computers like HP, Dell, Sony just use OEM?

I recently tried installing Windows XP MCE 2005 on a all-in-one SP2 CD I have but it would not accept the CD key which was on the sticker of the dell, so I had to use the built in hidden recovery partition which installed all the bloatware.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

It's quite simple to tell what version of XP you have. It will tell you exactly what type of key you have on the certificate of authenticity. Here are some visual guides:

hpkey.jpg

Here's a HP laptop certificate. First line says the version licensed, second line says the manufacturer. It could be HP, Compaq, Toshiba, etc. Whatever the manufacturer is, these keys are the OEM version.

oemkey.jpg

And here's one from a copy of OEM XP that you can buy from your local computer shop. Again, type of Windows licensed on the first line, OEM or Retail on the second.

You can't install another version of Windows with these keys. So follow what's printed on the sticker and you're okay. By the way, OEM discs are interchangable, so you can use a Dell OEM disc on an HP, and vice versa.

So there is just one version of MCE 2005?

If so why does mine not accept the key? It's a 1:1 for sure.

If the machine has a COA on the side of it then it has an oem copy. VLKs do not have coa stickers. Retail disks also don't have a sticker with a coa on it. The Key is on a sticker on the package.

With media center 2k5 you have a disk 1 that is a xp pro disk and a second disk with the addons. If you are using a "all in one" disk I'm guesing that is some pirate copy you found on the net. You just need to get a copy of real media center disks. Also mind you that media center 2005 is the second version of media center. They had one before it.

Also, Media Center 2005 is a 3-disc set. First is XP core files, second is media center files, third is an update pack you run after you install .NET 1.1.

Soujiro said:
Also, Media Center 2005 is a 3-disc set. First is XP core files, second is media center files, third is an update pack you run after you install .NET 1.1.

Never seen a 3 disk version of 05. Have installed like 10 oem copies on machines and have an oem copy in my system builder set. All have been 2 disk. When did they start shipping 3 disk sets?

ZzBloopzZ said:
However, most have lost their restore CD's
I would kindly explain to them that they shouldn't have lost them. If calling an 800 number is too much of a hassle, these people should be hitting up the antique stores for some typewriters. I know it sounds like I'm trying to be an ass, but there is some logic behind this too. If they request the discs now, they should have them for future uses as well.

ZzBloopzZ said:
I have quite a few customers where I end up having to reinstall Windows XP on their systems. However, most have lost their restore CD's. I know you can call the company they bought the PC's from for recovery CD's... but a lot of my customers do not want to go through that hassle.

So turn it into a business opportunity and order the disks for them at cost plus a reasonable markup and installation fee.

swatbat said:
Never seen a 3 disk version of 05. Have installed like 10 oem copies on machines and have an oem copy in my system builder set. All have been 2 disk. When did they start shipping 3 disk sets?
When I bought MCE to build my media center earlier this year.

Back