Windows XP Reduced Media Edition

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
"Some common customer scenarios, such as playing an audio CD, playing an MP3 file, transferring an MP3 file to a portable music player, or streaming audio and video over the Internet, will not work unless additional software is installed either from Microsoft or a third party," the Microsoft spokesperson said, specified in the European Commission Decision."

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1754121,00.asp

Personally, I kinda see their point, but I think its kind of dumb. How many people will now be annoyed that Windows can't do "media" out of the box without knowing why? My buddy just called me up and was moaning about how Media Player didn't play DVDs after a clean install of MCE2005 no less. He couldn't find his copy of PowerDVD and thought it was dumb that after all this time DVD play isn't a default ability. It's like taking a step back in time to not even be able to play .mp3s, etc on a default install. Maybe Windows XP Retarded Edition would be more descriptive (sorry to anyone affiliated with a tard).

re·tard (r-tärd) n - A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.

I see nothing offensive about his post. :rolleyes:

I am really sorry. I just hadn't used the word "tard" today yet. Regardless of what it might mean, it just sounds good.

It's the classic example of how MS can't win. If they put something in Windows, the competition gets pissed and sues (example: Sun). If they take something out of Windows, the customer's get pissed (example: Java, DVD Playback).

I don't think many people realize MS is hated for stupid reasons. Ever step they take is going to piss someone off.

Back