Windows XP Pro x64 Compatibility List.

|NOLAFF|-JD

Weaksauce
There are a couple things that need to be said about windows 64. Some good and some bad. For the most part they are all pretty good things that I have to say as I am running x64. I really like it but there are also some things that no longer work with it. One of the best things about Windows 64 is that it runs SLI just fine. That is if you have purchased a SLI setup and you are trying to run SLI+DVI+Widescreen it will do that just fine without ANY of the issues that people running that setup in 32 bit windows are having. Once again:

WINDOWS x64 RUNS SLI+DVI+WIDESCREEN JUST FINE (Kinda Kind of ironic since x64 has managed to break a lot of other things but gets this one done just right)! So now you guys who purchased the ultra expensive setup will have to spend a couple more dollars if you want your SLI to work properly now. It's not a permanent answer to your problem now, but at least it is another option.

Ok so now onto some of the other things that Windows 64 does wrong. Well I shouldn't say that it does them wrong per say, but well they just don't work. Actually there are too many applications that don't work to talk about them all so I'm just going to point to a url here that has a really good list of programs that do not work with Windows 64 as well as some that do work just fine, and even ones that work half-way (Thanks to 3DVelocity for this List). Now I'm going to focus in on a couple of programs that I find are important to me and probably important to you as well.

Anti-Virus software:
For Obvious reasons this is very important to me, and should be to you as well. The problem is that not many anti-virus programs are compatible with x64(just a handful at most). I have found one that does work just fine, and in fact was made just for windows 64, and that is Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition V10. If you have this version of anti-virus software there is a special install that Symantec includes on the CD just for windows 64(how nice of them to do that for us).

Latest version of Daemon Tools:
DOES NOT WORK! This is important for me because I have made CD images of all the games that I have purchased (I'm no pirate). I have made these CD images so that I won't damage or lose my CDs as I help host a local LAN party in New Orleans it is not uncommon to have a CD grow legs and walk away never to be seen again. Not saying that it is because of where I live, just saying that no matter what LAN you attend (even Quakecon) these things can happen, and rather than lose my CDs I leave them at home and use the Virtual Drive in Daemon Tools to load up my games. The problem is that with Daemon Tools (as well as Alcohol 120%, and most Virtual Drive software) will not work with Windows 64 because it tries to install a 32 bit driver which is the virtual drive and obviously can not work on a 64 bit OS. Now Daemon Tools is working on a new version which is in BETA but it is a closed BETA, and it will be done when it's done ( I think I have heard that before, but can't remember where, or who I heard it from)! There is an alternative virtual drive that does work somewhat. It's not perfect, but at least it's something if you absolutely must have a virtual drive and it's called Filedisk. You can find Filedisk here. Like I said this program is not perfect, but IT DOES WORK. I will not offer support for it since I didn't create it, but all I can say is that it works. You may want to use your CDs for any installs that you may need to do though.

DiskKeeper 9 pro:
Does not work, and I really like this program because it's a hell of a lot better than the built in windows defragger. If you install this program it installs just fine, but when you run it the default windows defragger comes up. I haven't tried any updates on this program yet, but I'm in the middle of my final exams so give me a break and I'll try it when I'm done with exams.

Doom 3:
One last thing that gets me, and refers to the article about games in Windows 64 is that Doom 3 installs, and plays just fine. The thing that gets me is that while Doom 3 plays just fine its expansion does not. Well I shouldn't say that its expansion doesn't play just fine, but rather that in Windows 64 it won't install at all. I have seen a work around for it, but I would imagine that it would install with no problems right out of the box. The work around can be found here, and all you have to do is think of Doom 3: Ressurection of Evil every time they say Doom 3 and if you follow the directions you should be able to install Doom 3:ROE with no problem. That still has me mad because a person should not have to do that to get a game to install, and I only wonder how many less savy users are going to have to return the game of go back to 32 bit XP just to play it.

I think this is a good amount of Windows 64 stuff for now since I have to go to school and take two more exams, but I will come back and post more on Windows 64 as I have a lot more things to cover.

AVAST Antivirus has a native 64-bit version out, I've used it (the free version), works fine.

Out of curiosity when did Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition Version 10 come out? I was looking to upgrade and I have been waiting on this.

Anyone download and try out Java VM under XP64? I don't think there is a 64bit version yet.

Not sure on the exact date when it came out, but check this URL here: http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/products/products.cfm?productid=64

You should be able to purchase it from there. Also in response to the Java question, I'm not sure which one it was that I installed, but I needed some kind of Java to run Azureus bit torrent client so that I could get the podcast show "This Week in Tech" which can also be found here : http://twit.tv/ (That podcast is done by the guys who were on the old show "The Screen Savers" before TechTV got taken over by G4TV, and the show became know as "Attack of the Show" which is horrible IMHO.

Executive Software is working on a 64bit version of Diskeeper. It should hit beta soon and I will hopefuly get to beta test it (not exactly positive I want to beta test defrag software but why not, right?)

Ryland said:
Executive Software is working on a 64bit version of Diskeeper. It should hit beta soon and I will hopefuly get to beta test it (not exactly positive I want to beta test defrag software but why not, right?)

Lol, well someone has to do it! Take one for the team! If you know of any open Beta tester spots shoot me a PM. I would be more than happy to contribute to the cause.

The Sun Java from their website is 32-bit only from what I can tell. Don't know if/when a 64-bit version will come out.

Hrmm... I just noticed an "AMD64" version of Java 5 available there. Not sure if it's a 64bit program though.

Unless if it is installing drivers then it really should install and work just fine. Doesn't matter if it is 64 bit or 32 bit, unless if drivers are involved in some way or another.

Official finding as the reason why Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory does not play can be found here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=900679 . Also I revently picked up a copy of Act of War, and it installed just fine, but as I went to play it I got an error that said I needed to have WindowsXP installed, but as I clicked ok on the error the game launched just fine.

For your last comment. I find it hard to believe many low level people who cant even search google would be running windows 64 bit.

The latest version (v7.1) of AVG also supports the 64 bit version of Windows XP.

There's an absurdly easy way to install Doom 3:RoE on x64 - copy the expansion folder into your Doom3 folder alongside the base. I'll find more detailed instructions later (I've posted them before, if anyone wants to search my previous posts) but it's easier than jumping through hoops.

The ROE problem is not x-64 fault, but ID's for not making a compatible installer. Same goes to most programs which do not detect X-64 as a valid OS.

AnyDVD released a 64bit version a few days ago, it works like a charm.

I was looking for the 64bit version of AVG, but now that its out, I don't think its worth changing from Avast.

AFAIK 64bit versions of Daemon tools and alcohol virtual drive are currently in beta test.

Hi there, just found this site using the stumble upon extension in Firefox.

Just a note regarding the list for compatibilty with x64. I notice in the list that it says that Half Life 2 doesn't run after the August update. I have Half Life 2 running perfectly on x64.

Thanks

Back