Windows XP Pro Problem

icehokplyr

Limp Gawd
Okay, let's see if we can try and fix this one now.
I just built my new computer about a week ago. I installed Windows XP Pro. I also have an Abit AI7 Motherboard and one of the USB port drivers needed to be installed. I went to the Abit site, www.abit-usa.com, amd downloaded the USB20_2.22 driver. I saved it in my "windows", "options", "cabs" folder. The reason I saved it here is because it was already highlighted as a place to save this file.
After rebooting, and after about somewhere between a minute or two, my computer screen went blank and the machine restarted. When it re-booted, it said that Windows has recovered from a seriouse error and should be reported. The same thing happened again about an hour later.

Any advice or suggestions? Did I save the driver in the wrong folder?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I do have sp1 installed. I just checked.
Now what should I do? Any other suggestions?

Next thing that I would do is remove the file from that folder or delete it and see if you have the same problem.

Well, (knock on wood) it has not happened since the last time. It happened twice and nothing since this post. If it happens again, I will delete the file. Before I installed the driver I had a yellow exclamation point next to my USB Port in Program Manager.
Everything seems okay now but I was worried about the serious error warning.

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Okay, I thought I was going crazy. This error message came back after a few days saying that Windows XP had serious errors. I'm such an ass that I disabled the messages because it got really annoying and I couldn't figure out what it was. (I know, it was just very annoying). Then each time I started windows, I would put in my password and windows would start up and after about 3 seconds, the machine would restart on it's own. That's not good. I started to think it was a power problem or some kind of conflict. I was going to re-arrange some wires but for some reason, I just cleaned up a bit inside the machine and made sure all my wires were properly connected. Then I fired her up again. No problem, I restarted my machine two more times to be sure and so far so good.
Does anyone think it was a loose wire somewhere? I'm glad it's fixed but I want to know WTF it was for next time.

Thanks in advance

Back