Windows XP Pro: Missing or Corrupt File

trooper11

Limp Gawd
Ive been trying to troubleshoot an issue with an older laptop i have. Its running windows xp pro and it is now giving me an error:

missing or corrupt file C:\windows\system32\config\system

im trying some methods ive found only to manually replace the file from the recovery console and to use restore files to replace the bad file, but both methods failed to change things.

i was hoping to run a repair install with an xp pro disc, but it will not give me the repair option when i get to the list of partitions, only to delete or create. its a compaq laptop so i know its an oem version of xp pro, which is the save version of disc i have, and yet, it wont show the repair option.

anyone have any other suggestions on what i should try next? thanks.

It may not be missing files (it really means missing folder) but could be incorrect boot information.
ie the boot configuration points to the wrong controller/drive/partition.
I'm sure I have had the same error when I was playing with boot.ini and set the config to use a drive that didnt exist.

The following line (or similar) is responsible:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer

The numeric values may be different but they are what matters.
For example, if there is a separate boot partition on a single drive machine, then you could be running Windows on partition 2 so the line may read:
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS ...
(note partition value starts at 1 and increases, it can never be 0)

If there are 2 hard drive controllers (unlikely on a laptop) and the Windows drive is on the second controller, it may read:
default=multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS ...

If there are 2 drives in the laptop and Windows boots off the first but runs off the second, it may read
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS ...

You need to be sure that this is set correctly to describe where the Windows operating system is located.
If you have multiple OS installs, your boot.ini may be defaulting to the wrong one.
ie if you had another OS that has been removed it may still be trying to load that.
You can press F8 before Windows starts to load to select a different boot option to test.
Hard configure it when you know what works.

Here is a good page on boot.ini config.
Take care to click the links to Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles if you want to know more.
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm
Another great guide
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/bootini.htm

I'm not sure that this is your problem as its unusual for boot.ini to suddenly become incorrectly configured unless you have been playing with boot.ini or have installed/removed other OS's.

hmm, good idea. so if it is an incorrect boot ini, then how should i go about fixing it? is there a tool i can run outside of windows to do it, such as from the recovery console?

At the recovery console command prompt, try
edit boot.ini
Failing that, use another OS or boot disk to edit it.

Last edited:
Back