Windows: XP Pro, 2000 SP4, Server 2003 Enterprise

rygy

Limp Gawd
Hello,
Today I got my login for the Computer Science college at my University (I am taking a single, first year course, I am only taking one class right now cause I am actually in Electrical Engineering and it is the spring and summer session right now) and have discovered that I am able to download ISO's for almost any MS software package that has to do with CS. Including the said OS's. This is all from a service called "ELMS for MSDNAA Software Center".

I haven't really been able to find much info on my university webpages that talks about all of this other than if you are registered in a CS course then you have FREE access to all of this software.

I just finished downloading images for the 3 said versions of Windows along with legitimate serial numbers for each.

What I want to know is: why am I allowed free access to all of this software and to get it all I have to do is be registered in 1, simple CS class? It's like I have thousands of dollars worth of software that I don't even really need. I was wondering if it is like this for many other people in CS. Thank you.

and this is what I got in my email after putting all this stuff in my cart:

Product: Virtual PC 2004

1 Download Only Free!

Product: Windows 2000 Professional (with SP4)

1 Download Only Free!

Product: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

1 Download Free!

Product: Windows XP Professional with SP1a (Single User) ISO Image

1 Download Only Free!

Method of Payment: No Charge

Why? Market share maintenance. Constituency buy-in. Future spending-authority brand recognition. Evil Empire dreams of total penetration and dominance. Blah blah blah.

Micrososft does this for marketing reasons.

- Qualm

Most software vendors offer discounted software to students and academic institutions, it just makes sense.

• Few students can afford to purchase large software packages they need.
• Universities have more resources to provide such tools, but even they are limited.
• Offering discounted software is a way to provide students\universities with what they need while still receiving some cash flow.
• Companies like to get people exposed to their products, be it a database, a word processor, or a new type of tooth paste.
• Any vendor likes to get their product into the hands of prospective buyers.
• Any tools vendor (and I think most software could be considered a tool), likes to ensure there are sufficient people trained on their product to meet demand for employees.

…to name a few reasons.

As for the MSDNAA (Microsoft Developer Network – Academic Alliance), I don’t believe that the software is provided free, though I may be wrong. I got the impression that the University paid some minimal licensing costs for the right to use the software. I’ve heard of universities charging $5 or $10 for each title, and I presume this would be for costs of creating media and to recoup some of the AA costs. But then again, I’m not involved with MSDNAA at all, and could be wrong.

Also, think about when you graduate.
Think of the software acting like a demo.

Let's say you really like Windows XP and used it because your collage/school, etc provided it for you for free. You graduate and you have enough money to buy an operating system of your own. The only one you used was WinXP and you liked a lot...so guess which OS you buy?

More business and more $$$ for the big companies.

sounds like a good deal, but i can go one better. go here, and you can download 50+ OSes, the full thing, with all required serial numbers, for free. they work on many platforms, not just intel and clones, and are fast gaining popularity in the server market.

wait... :D

unhappy_mage said:
sounds like a good deal, but i can go one better. go here, and you can download 50+ OSes, the full thing, with all required serial numbers, for free. they work on many platforms, not just intel and clones, and are fast gaining popularity in the server market.

wait... :D
uh oh! Don't let SCO find out you're promoting Linux!

Most colleges have site licenses for the OSes from Microsoft. So, anyone affiliated with the school, using the OS for school purposes is allowed a copy. Pretty much the same thing as corporations. I buy any MS software I want for $20....it's all site licensed by HP.

Back