Windows XP Networking woes...please help

sitheris

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to setup some network shares on my server (Win XP Pro). All of my other computers run XP Pro as well. I have a public folder setup for everyone in the house to have access to..works fine.

I would like to setup a private share that only I can connect to by entering a username/password. I tried to set up a folder, I removed 'Everyone' from the share permissions, added the server username as the only one to have access. I left everything as-is on the security tab.

I can see the folder, but when I try to map it on another one of my machines, it doesn't like the password I give it. It prompts me with a login box over and over even though I type the username/password correctly. I am using <Servername>/<username>, and the password of the user on the server (The same user I added to share permissions earlier) as my login credentials and it just won't let me in.

Why won't this work....arghhh.

If you want a share that doesn't show up to remote machines put a $ after the share name.

As to your problem, put the everyone permission back on the share permisssions tab. In windows you leave the share open and lock down with NTFS permissions (the security tab). Most restrictive wins. Secure with NTFS

ktwebb said:
If you want a share that doesn't show up to remote machines put a $ after the share name.

As to your problem, put the everyone permission back on the share permisssions tab. In windows you leave the share open and lock down with NTFS permissions (the security tab). Most restrictive wins. Secure with NTFS

I'll try that when I get home, thanks.

M$ sure doesn't make it easy do they :/

Back