Windows XP Mode,Windows Virtual PC on Win7 PRO, can I use OFFICE XP PRO

rivrbyte

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Well, I did it. I will be switching over to Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, (8GB DDR2) from XP Home 32 Bit.(4GB DDR2)

Now the fun stuff....downloading all the 64 bit drivers that support the new Win7 OS.
I have a Microsoft XP PRO Office disc that I used with XP, and wondered instead of going out and buying a new HOME & OFFICE 2010 title, if I could use this in the new WIN7 Windows XP Mode,Windows Virtual PC mode.

Microsoft says I can use XP programs in this mode on Win7 Pro, but is this one of them? Or is it highly advised to buy the newest copy? ( Amazon- $110.00+ Shipping.

What other older programs are they talking about working on Win7 Virtual?

Thank you!

You can run just about anything that runs on xp, in xp mode on win 7. The only limitations I have seen is that for some reason you can't upgrade from IE 6 at least not through windows update in windows xp mode. Office xp should work fine, but honestly xp mode uses a ton of resources compared to buying office that is win 7 compatible. It will be slow to start up xp mode any time you want to use office and if you just keep it running you waste performance. Honestly you would probably be better off with open office than office xp.

Also are you sure office xp isn't win 7 compatible (works on win 7)? Lots of older programs will work and if they don't you can run them in compatibility mode it should probably work then.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine running Office XP natively on Win7. Don't bother running XPMode unless you come across something that is incompatible. And in reality, you'll be surprised how much stuff "just works".

Office XP runs fine under Windows 7 64-Bit. We have it running on one of the Windows 7 workstations at my workplace.

Office XP runs fine under Windows 7 64-Bit. We have it running on one of the Windows 7 workstations at my workplace.

Even Office 2000 run fine under Windows 7 no need to use XP Mode actually. I've actually tried it myself back in 2009. :)

I definitely wouldn't want to run Office XP at all... Anything below 2007 is quite cludgy IMHO.

Back