• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows XP Logon screen after screensaver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

osalcido

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
1,481
Hey I get the logon screen after activating my comp and get the xp logon screen..... but when I click an acct it asks for a password..

problem is none of my accts have passwords? So I dont know what to put in there.

yes Im sure they dont have passwords. from firstboot, when I get the logon screen I can access any of them without pw
 
In your screensaver options is the "On resume, password protect" option enabled?
 
hmm I didnt see that option all I saw was "Show welcome screen" and it was checked

i'll look for that other option when i get home, thanks
 
Your Windows is password protected and you don't know what the password is.
But you are able to look up screensaver settings, which means you have gotten into the account.

If you don't know the password (can't log in), but you can check settings (you are logged in), you must have used a password to log in!
 
Your Windows is password protected and you don't know what the password is.
But you are able to look up screensaver settings, which means you have gotten into the account.

If you don't know the password (can't log in), but you can check settings (you are logged in), you must have used a password to log in!

He doesn't have a password on the account at all.
 
that would be the problem ^^^^^^^^^^^

no password is set but it asks for one (only after screensaver)
 
that would be the problem ^^^^^^^^^^^

no password is set but it asks for one (only after screensaver)

You didn't clarify that little bit :) Just hit enter on the screen and don't stick a password in there, then.
 
read again, einstein
No thanks. After reading that comment, for some reason I feel like I don't want to help you on this problem anymore.
 
problem is none of my accts have passwords? So I dont know what to put in there.
You've already demonstrated you don't like responses too much, but here's one. Use some common sense and good practices and put passwords on your accounts. In this age of malware, it's insane not to have passwords. Problem solved, and you fixed a major security hole in one process.

Oh, and being a smartass to those willing to give you some time and effort...not the best way to get that elusive help.
 
the only one that offered to time to help was bender..and Im grateful to him

zacdl didnt even bother to read the entire post i made before spouting off about passwords I did or did not set. and you didnt offer anything but a comment about me being ungrateful...umm thanks ??

i'm not going to be grateful to some kid that doesn't even bother to read before posting some weak 'advice' just to boost his post count

btw, setting a password on windowsXP will stop malware how, exactly? hmm?
 
No thanks. After reading that comment, for some reason I feel like I don't want to help you on this problem anymore.

oh gee my loss I Guess.... who o who will tell me to press enter now....:(
 
btw, setting a password on windowsXP will stop malware how, exactly? hmm?
That's scary that you even have to ask that question. Sounds like you need to catch up one some basic security tips. Some malware attempts to find unprotected (read: no password) accounts and create one for it, taking over the account and your computer, while locking you out of it.

Now, stop being so ignorant. zacdl, simply misread or skimmed your post. No reason to get cocky or cop and attitude with him. I gave you a logical answer that offers not only the solution, but a way to fix a glaring hole in your security setup.

If you don't like the answers and solutions to your questions, I'd suggest getting yourself a can of vasoline, your credit card, and taking your PC into your local Geek Squad. Just because an answer doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't mean it's incorrect.
 
yes it is fucking incorrect I already told you his advice did not work and he started with his smug comment about 'you did not specify that in your post :)'. XP passwords are so easily bypassable and crackable do you really think a password is going to make any difference? i've never heard of malware doing this but I know damn well its easy to get around it in safe mode. pws are fucking useless. nobody uses this comp but me anyway.

I prefer to set my security on the router , using firefox, and not downloading random crap from the net. now if you wanna be a paranoid know-it-all, thats fine. you could stand to loosen your tinfoil hat a bit, but do what u want. at any rate, that DOES NOT SOLVE MY ORIGINAL PROBLEM AND SO MAKE A SEPERATE THREAD ABOUT IT AND KEEP OUT OF THIS ONE WITH YOUR USELESS REMARKS JUST TO BOOST YOUR POST COUNT
 
I thought you should maybe read some of these rules...

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.
(9) No SHOUTING (Posting in all capital letters) It’s hard to read and just plain rude and annoying.

Personally, I just left the thread for you to be on your own. But I guess my subscription was still active, and so I got this post of yours.

I think you might need a time-out... Go play a round of golf. Go for a run. Watch TV.
 
That's it. This thread has gone as far as it is going to go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top