Windows XP installation reboots at "Starting Windows"

Widge

Gawd
Hi all,

A computer I'm trying to fix has a rather strange problem. When I attempt to install Windows XP off of my SP2-slipstreamed disc, it automatically restarts at the "Starting [up?] Windows" portion of the installation. It comes immediately after all of the drivers are loaded and "NT File System" loads.

I'm assuming it's some kind of hardware error, but I've tried multiple CPUs, RAM, and hard drives.

Here are the specs:

Asus A7N8X
Athlon XP 2400+
2 sticks of Crucial 128MB PC2100
a 40GB and a 160GB WD drive

The disc installs fine on another computer, so I don't think it's the media...

Any ideas?

Does it blue screen?

I just tried to upgrade my win2k to XP with sp2 and it did the same thing. Right now I am currently running on clean parallel install that seems to work ok.

You can press F8 at startup and select disable auto restart or something like that to get the exact error message it displays.

draksia said:
Does it blue screen?

I just tried to upgrade my win2k to XP with sp2 and it did the same thing. Right now I am currently running on clean parallel install that seems to work ok.

You can press F8 at startup and select disable auto restart or something like that to get the exact error message it displays.

No, this is just during a fresh install on a new drive. All it does is just spontaneously reboot right after the setup program finishes loading all of the drivers.

The first thing i'd try is put in a clean genuine XP install disk and and see if the install works ok. If it does than perhaps there was an error in the creation of the slipstreamed disk or maybe the CD-rom just isn't reading the burned copy properly.

The [H]orde needs You!

Back