Windows XP installation freeze on 1st reboot

edwardo79

n00b
I just bought a Soyo P4RC350 and Celeron D 2.26 ghz CPU, and I'm installing XP pro on the system for the first time. The first part of the installation went fine with the file copying. On the first reboot, the windows xp splash screen appears and then a blue background appears with a mouse icon; then nothing else happens. The mouse still moves the cursor over the screen, but nothing else ever appears or happens. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before and have any idea why this might be happening? Thanks.

System:
Motherboard: Soyo P4RC350 BIOS 4aa1
CPU: Celeron D 2.26 ghz
Ram: 512mb Crucial PC2700
HD: 6.4 GB Seagate
Video: ATI Radeon 9100 Pro (on board)
Network: onboard gigabit
Sound: onboard C-Media

Yes, I have had this happen, and yes, with a Soyo mobo. Try updating the BIOS to their latest release, and it should fix it.

A BIOS update fixed the install problem, but IE still crashes sometimes when running a page with java _and_ moving the mouse at the same time (<-- I'm not kidding).

Me=not a Soyo fan anymore...

i'm definitely not a soyo fan after this experience. never used one of their products before, and this will likely be the last. i updated the bios, but no change. i think that the bios it shipped with was the most recent version as well. their website says something about a problem with winxp sp2, and says that they will eventually have a bios update for that, but i'm just trying to install the base xp and haven't gotten to where i can update the os yet. any other thoughts? someone's had to gotten this board to work. i'm not using any peripherials, so there shouldn't be any conflicts. i thought maybe a bios setting was the problem, but i've looked through the settings and can't find anything that i think might be doing this. if anyone has any other thought or suggestions, i'd love to hear them.

Same problem here. Also it takes forever to boot. I'm going to try a bios update.

PK

Back