Limp Gawd
Yesterday, I log into my computer using the admin user account under my name
the same way I've done for at least a year and I'm surprised to find that it
doesn't even look like my PC any more.

Somehow, my personalized settings are gone. Even the wall paper is
different and the home page has been reset to the manufacturers page from
long ago.

I had not done any fiddling with the accounts in any way. The only change was I
plugged in a new USB mouse before turning the PC on. What caused the problem is a mystery to me.

What can I do to get my settings, my folders, my passwords, my accounts, my
favorites and all that back?

Thanks.

well I'd say scan for spyware/virus etc...have you tried <god I hate to say it> system restore

The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago - it was logging me on as "Administrator" rather than my user name in the adminstrator group. This profile exists somewhere (even though it doesn't show up in User Accounts), and if you've never used it, it'll still have retained all the default settings.

My problem was caused (and fixed) by fiddling around in Run -> control userpasswords2, but if you haven't been changing the profile settings it's probably not the same issue. If you're actually manually selecting your profile at startup, then it's definitely not the same issue, but if not then the "Administrator" account might be a good starting point...

@hulksterjoe: Love the sig ;)

Thanks. I did a Window update and now it no longer allows me to choose a profile during log-in, it just takes me directly to the desktop.

If I look at my folders under Documents/Settings, it's my name and my folders with all there stuff. It's the window settings, preferences, log-in names for games, IE bookmarks that are all missing.

Odd

edit: forget it.
(Can we please be allowed to delete our posts again?)

Back