• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows XP Home Upgrade Activation

Oline61

Gawd
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
869
I bought an XP Home "Upgrade" pack to bring an old computer with 98 up to XP a while back. After that computer broked, this "Upgrade" pack was no longer being used, so when I built my current computer I used an old Win 95 disc along with the "Upgrade" to install XP Home on my computer. Since then I have reinstalled many times, and the last few times I have been unable to activate, because it tells me it has been installed too many times (to be fair, I have reinstalled many many many times). Now the only way to activate it, is by calling MS Tech Support *shudder*. I don't want to have to keep doing this, so I came up with an idea:
Would it be possible to install XP, activate it, then create a disc image from which I could reinstall XP already fully activated? If so, what software could I use to activate it? Would there be any major problems with doing it this way?

Thanks for help,
Oline61
 
Calling them is never a problem and rarely takes more than few minutes on the phone. That being said, you could use something like Symantec Ghost to make an image of your machine, and store it on another machine, external USB drive, or DVD.

A computer shouldn't need to be rebuilt that often, so I would also spend some time on why that is, and remedy that situation as well.
 
While you could make an image of your setup already activated, if you happen to restore it on a system that has "different" hardware, that may trigger reactivation at which you'll still need to call MS.

It is painless and usually takes less than 10 minutes.
 
Back
Top