Windows XP Home: Services not starting

tripex

Gawd
I reformatted a friends notebook with the original Windows XP Home SP1a cd.

After that i installed original drivers and then i applied SP2.

Now everytime i start Windows, i dont have networking, windows installer, computer browser, DNS client, DHCP client, just to name a few of the services.

I have to go to Computer Management and start all the services manually, just to have internet access and stuff.

What could be causing this strange behaviour?

The whole time the computer was behind a Linksys Router, so no worms/virus i am sure.

Your router can protect your computer of worms, but not virus, try running a virus scan with AVG, and spyware scan with SUPERantispyware, download both latest versions from filehippo.com, if it scans clean, try running a repair install of windows.

its not a virus

its something inside Windows that is not working well

any other advice peoples?

I once worked on an HP laptop with a bad wireless card. It caused all sorts of services to stop after Windows was loaded. After I disabled the card Windows worked correctly.

Try disabling hardware and see if that fixes anything.

This is just a suggestion, but I'm not sure why you wasted so much time with originals. Slipstream his/her disc up to SP2, and that will be more stable and save time over manually updating it later. Then, download the latest, most recent drivers available for the laptop, and load them.

sounds like missing or corrupted RPC (remote procedure call) entry.

There's simply too much documentation and information regarding RPC fixes and solutions in a google search or Microsoft KB search. So you might want to go through them and see what fits your scenario best.

Thanks boys

Too bad its too late, i already formatted the disk with a copy of Windows XP Pro SP2.

I'll see if this works well, later tonite.

I can now say that the culprit was bad/old drivers.

I got new ones from the net, as advised here. Thanks.

I think newest chipset drivers made the difference this time.

Back