Windows XP Home OEM Dell version?

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
Hoping someone can help out, i've only ever just bought XP Home Retail..

i started searching for WIndows XP on froogle and there came up with the hits of

"Windows XP Home Edition SP1 Full Version OEM (Dell Branded)"

are these full/legal copies of XP?

the reason i ask is these are much cheaper than the full retail (70$ vs 140$)..

seems some of them ship with an inconsequial piece of hardware to get around the OEM issue..

what i would like to know is if i bought one of these, can i install it on this new machine i'm building and have it be completely correct?

added..

here is a link to one such place selling it

http://www.shop.com/op/~Windows_XP_Home_Edition_Full_Version_OEM_SP1_(Dell_Branded)-prod-35726152-47753436?sourceid=57

It's illegal since it must be used only on dell computers. Those booklets with CD are included in every Dell computer but I bet it doesn't include the COA, which is not on this booklet but on the computer case side.

I have a big amount of Dell computers and those booklets are worthless. The only useful thing is if you lost the OEM XP installation CD but you are better off calling Dell and pay a nominal shipping fee to get one.

that is what i thought at first, but some sites say it comes with

CD (Hologram CD), Bookloot, and Product Key

for example

http://www.viosoftware.com/Windows+XP+Home+PG/Windows+XP+Home+with+SP2+OEM+DSP.html

if you click on the OEM link on this page it says

OEM software is a full version (non-upgrade) which includes the CD-ROM and the product key codes. These elements are all you will need to load and run the software. The software runs exactly the same way as the full retail version (including automatic updates). The differences between OEM Vs Retail Box are:
1. OEM does not come in a retail box.
2. OEM is always licensed for one computer.
3. OEM is not transferable.
4. OEM cannot be used to upgrade.
5. Manufacturer does not supply free technical support or installation support for OEM.

Has anyone bought one of these OEM versions? does it work like the full retail?

if it is illegal, i'm suprised to see so many sites getting away selling just hte OEM version.. but then again, that is why i am askin, illegal software is rampant...

If your buying OEM buy it froma trusted site like newegg or zipzoomfly. it is completly legal if bought with a periphial (cheap mouse or some other hardware)

i have bought over 30 OEM versions for our offices recently and they are legit, just the catch is to be that the computer you install that OEM version on is the only computer it can ever be used on EVER.

but i have moved 2 or 3 of the installs to new comps and had no trouble activating them on completly new hardware.

For less then 20 bucks more you can buy a sp2 oem copy. Hell I would pay that just to not have to deal with loading sp2 after installing windows.

As far as the dell branded xp copies. At least in the pastdell sold oem copies of xp that were not tied to a dell machine. One of y friends order a bunch of xp pro oem copies from dell on an order to upgrade some machines he already had. Thing is for that being that old of a copy they are not giving you a good break. I would just order a new oem copy from newegg or something.

Ya, OEMs are "locked" to a computer. I call shenanigans. It's pure scare tactics, to cinvince the naive to pay $100 more for retail. Save yourself the money and get a OEM OS CD from a local computer store. According to my local computer store, a case screw is hardware. Literally, they will charge you like 10 cents for the screw and call it hardware. What do they care? It's not like Microsoft is gonna find out.

Back