Windows XP Home does not show 2 cores in task manager...

EvilGenesys

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed an A64 X2 3800+ in my box, but XP wont show the second core on the performance tab in the task manager. Have I done something wrong? The BIOS and system properties recognize that the proc is a dual core proc....

Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know if this has since changed, but here's an excerpt of a 2005 FAQ from Microsoft's website:

Q. How does this licensing policy affect products such as Microsoft Windows XP Professional?

A. Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Windows XP Home are not affected by this policy as they are licensed per installation and not per processor. Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors regardless of the number of cores on the processor. Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor.

I don't know if this has since changed, but here's an excerpt of a 2005 FAQ from Microsoft's website:

Q. How does this licensing policy affect products such as Microsoft Windows XP Professional?

A. Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Windows XP Home are not affected by this policy as they are licensed per installation and not per processor. Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors regardless of the number of cores on the processor. Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor.

I'm assuming that the one processor also means one core. Could be wrong though.

I have no idea how I double-posted. The edit button got a bit jealous of Reply?

one PHYSICAL processor, it does not count cores, so it should.

you likely need to change the ACPI? option in your system, or do a repair install of home for it to install needed drivers to show both cores.

one PHYSICAL processor, it does not count cores, so it should.

you likely need to change the ACPI? option in your system, or do a repair install of home for it to install needed drivers to show both cores.

The device manage seems to have the correct 'driver' [CPUs do not need drivers...] installed.

I don't think that ACPI would have anything to do with XP not showing both cores though... Especially when XP knows they are there....

Device Manager
View Devices By Connection

If it doesn't say something like "ACPI Multiprocessor" for the entry under your machine name, you're using the wrong HAL / Kernel.

Device Manager
View Devices By Connection

If it doesn't say something like "ACPI Multiprocessor" for the entry under your machine name, you're using the wrong HAL / Kernel.

Correct. If it doesn't say "ACPI Multiprocessor" It is only using one core. Look there, see if it says "ACPI Uniprocessor". That would be your problem. You'll need to install the correct HAL.

Task Manager, View -> CPU History -> One Graph, Per CPU

I heard Windows licenses count per physical socket despite the number of cores or separate processors might be on the die.

As others have mentioned, it's the HAL. If you simply drop in a dual core processor to a working XP install on a single core, you won't have the correct HAL. I believe it's relatively easy to fix, but have all of your drivers on hand because you may need to reload some/all of them.

Correct. If it doesn't say "ACPI Multiprocessor" It is only using one core. Look there, see if it says "ACPI Uniprocessor". That would be your problem. You'll need to install the correct HAL.

It doesn't say ACPI Uniprocessor, it says ACPI PC.

So, that brings me to my next question. How do I change it to say ACPI multiprocessor... and how do I install a HAL...

You can try going into your bios and making sure the 2nd core is enabled. I know my bios has the option to disable the second core. Maybe try updating your motherboard bios.

The bios doesn't have an option to enable/disable cores. I know that when the computer boots, the POST does mention that there are in fact two cores...

Task Manager, View -> CPU History -> One Graph, Per CPU

I heard Windows licenses count per physical socket despite the number of cores or separate processors might be on the die.

I would listen to the man, that is most likely your problem.

Correct on the Windows License.

Right... but how do I fix the problem...

And XP Home supports single processor dual core configurations. XP Home does not support multiple processor configurations though: See here for info

Ok, so the dll that controls Multiprocessor ACPI is on my system, how do I get Windows to use it instead of whatever it is using..?

Right... but how do I fix the problem...

And XP Home supports single processor dual core configurations. XP Home does not support multiple processor configurations though: See here for info

Exactly as it was described above..

Right click on the Taskbar-> Click on Task Manager -> Goto the Menu under VIEW -> Highlight CPU History->> Select 1 Graph per CPU.

Ok, I tried this method last night, but it FUBARd my install. I can see this method working... Is there a file [like boot.ini or something else] that looks to HAL.DLL during the boot process? Basically, I am thinking that I would need to edit a boot file and replace all the HAL.DLL entries with halmacpi.dll

If I remember right, You're suppsoed to rename halmacpi to HAL.DLL

If I remember right, You're suppsoed to rename halmacpi to HAL.DLL

I am a complete tard sometimes :( I don't know why I didn't think of this before! I'll give this a try in a little bit. If it doesn't work, I just ordered a copy of XP MCE and that should take care of it. If it does work, then I still have a copy of MCE, which means I can finally ditch Home!

I have this problem too, but in WinXP Pro SP2. Fresh clean installed all and CPU-Z only states 1 core, 1 thread. How do I go about fixing this?

You would follow the same steps for the most part. My guess is, it's only showing as a standard PC in the device manager.

Correct. It only says ACPI PC in device manager. In my system32 folder, i have the files HAL.dll and ntoskrnl.dll and the thrid one. Do I rename these in safe mode to get my Windows to have the correct HAL installed?

restart windows press before the boot screen shows up and (windows logo with the scrolling bar) and pick safemode as the boot option

What do I do in safe mode? Your instructions are vague.

I don't know if I have to rename the HAL.dll to something else.

Lol it's alright. I know how to get into safemode, but I still don't know if the files I have are the ones that are supposed to be renamed or not.

lol damn. I tried to follow the directions on the website and BAM windows wouldn't load.

Reinstalled, and woot. ACPI Multiprocessor shows up.

Back