Windows XP hibernation issue

pdp76

Weaksauce
When I take my computer out of hibernation but don't touch anything for a while (5-10min maybe?) it re-enters hibernation by itself. Is this a feature and is there anyway to disable this automatic re-entering of hibernation? Or is this something weird with my machine?

Also, does anyone know if Vista has the same behavior? Is there a way to control it in Vista?

99.99999% of all hibernation problems are caused by a driver issue. Rather that's what is causing your problem or not is very hard to say, but I will add that personally, I have found hibernation in XP to just basically suck. It's unreliable, picky and just a pain in the ass.

I have been running Vista on several machines all through the beta's and have slowly been installing the retail builds, and I have not seen the same problems with hibernation.... yet.

Well, recently, I noticed this same behavior on an old laptop of mine. I'm not sure what drivers my desktop and laptop would share, if any at all. My laptop is VERY old, back from 2000, and my desktop is a little newer, 2004. The only thing they have in common is that they're both DELL.

I at first thought it might be a DELL Bios thing, but since this "auto hibernation" only happens after resuming from a previous hibernation, and not on a clean boot, that should rule out any BIOS problems since the BIOS doesn't know the difference between resuming from hibernation vs a clean boot.

So no one out there has noticed this behavior? Again, I haven't sat around to time how long before the computer re-enters hibernation, but I suspect it corresponds to the screen saver timeout.....

Back