Windows XP freezing on Startup

Till

n00b
I have tried everything from reformatting my hard drives to replacing all my current integral parts with old working parts. This is what is happening...Just out of the blue my computer froze up and it looked like a graphic error. The screen flickered and then came back up looking like an old Atari game or something...Looked like I was playing tetris or something. So I figured it was my video card. I put my older video card in and the same thing happend. I repeated this process by switching every part of my computer out with old parts EXCEPT my two hard drives. Is it possible that BOTH of my hard drives are corrupted? Windows is on my newest hard drive and not on both. So maybe I should try installing windows on my old hard drive? This is also the second time it has happend. It might be the third time actually because something similar to this happend then I just bought a new mobo and hard drive and it worked again. The second time this happend was different. I got it working again by reformatting. However, whenever I tried to reformat it froze in the process. This is technically the third time it has happend and I don't know how to fix it. Any clue as to what is going on? This is what i have maxtor 80 gig hdd (newest) western digital 20 gig hdd (oldest) mother board is Shuttle "AN35N-Ultra" nForce2 Ultra 400 motherboard video card are radeon 9500 red memory crucial pc2100 256 and 512 sticks and amd barton 2500+ my old cpu was 1600+ think thats it if you need to know more let me know. Thanks

So is it locking up before you get to your desktop? or are the graphics just really bad?

it locks up in a couple places sometimes locks up when you first turn on the comp bios screen, also locks up when you see windows loading screen and rarely if i get passed those two it locks up when i get to desktop with all of it having some bad atari look graphics.

Back