Windows XP doesn't recognize hard drive during installation

adutch

n00b
I just used DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke (http://dban.sourceforge.net/)) to wipe my hard drive because there were lots of unused partitions of various sizes and I didn't feel like trying to erase each one and combine them to one. So now when I try and install Windows XP it says it cannot install because there is no hard drive. Is there any way I can make that hard drive visible to Windows again. I'm pretty sure the hard drive isn't broken because I can install Ubuntu just fine and it recognizes the hard drive. Thanks a lot.

Sounds like you need to use the F6 option to install your drive controller drivers.

agreed on the F6 option when setup is first running (Hit F6 to load additional drivers) I'm pretty sure this option requires use of a floppy drive in XP - don't think there is any way around that.... I haven't installed Vista yet, but hopefully they support CD and thumb drives now.

Just tried that and it installed some more stuff and asked me a few questions but I don't have a disk with the drivers. Sorry if I didn't say this earlier but it is a laptop that I bought about a year ago so I don't have any disks or anything. I looked around for drivers on the HP website but found nothing helpful. This laptop also doesn't have a floppy drive. Does that mean I won't be able to install this without buying an external floppy drive and finding drivers for it? Thanks.

What is the chipset of the system board, and what "mode" is your hard drive set to...in terms of being native IDE or AHCI?

I am not exactly sure how to find the chipset of my laptop or what mode my hard drive is in. I am looking through the bios and can't find anything about either. If it helps I have an HP dv6000. Thanks.

Back