Windows XP CD Key not valid?

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
The only CD I had around was a pirated copy of Windows I found in the street one day ;) so I used it to install Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on my computer. I then tried to change the product key to the product key listed on the bottom of the laptop (Also for Windows Media Center Edition 2005) so that it would be genuine, but it says the key is invalid. Is this because the CD keys are dependant on the actual CD itself?

How can I fix the CD key so that I can activate Windows?

Um.. are you serious?

I'm pretty sure that the "pirated copy you found in the street one day" is not an OEM copy.. sooo.. I'm going to assume that perhaps that may be your issue.

You have to activate by telephone in that circumstance. Using a different media disk and install key is quite legitimate if you plan to change the product key to a valid one, but telephone activation is required for getting it achieved.

The only CD I had around was a pirated copy of Windows I found in the street one day ;) so I used it to install Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on my computer. I then tried to change the product key to the product key listed on the bottom of the laptop (Also for Windows Media Center Edition 2005) so that it would be genuine, but it says the key is invalid.

I am thoroughly confused: If the CD key was printed on the bottom of the laptop that you installed windows on, why did you use a pirated key in the first place?

Aside from this, Mircosoft has a CD-key changing utility. I have used this in the past.

The OEM key that is on the bottom of the laptop is tied to the setupp.inf on the install disk, usually at the model level rather than machine. You may need to create a 'custom' install CD if you can find another model that has the original install on it. Should be in the i386 directory. This is where they flag the media as OEM, so check the last three letters of the PID too. If it is set to OEM, it should install, but may not activate.

If you get past the install step - like the other posters mentioned - just call in and give them the serial number on the bottom when you try to activate. Just be sure the versions match up to what you are trying to install on the laptop. They won't be helpful if you are trying to install WinXP pro on a WinXP home key...

Yep, that 3-digit code in a file on the CD tells the installer what type of license the XP CD is. If the key code used doesn't fall within the allowable range for that type of license then it won't install.

Thus the 'use the disk's key code then change to yours when you activate' trick.

Retail/Oem Cd's don't matter with MCE as MCE is Oem only unlike xp home/pro, also my Mce is 2 disks. Are you sure you are not using a xp home/pro disk to install?

i got xp pro in dec im reinstalling due to hard drive failer ,windows is telling me ive installed it to many time, only three time. they tell me i have to call in .what is this all about?:mad:

Back