Windows XP and Ubuntu, clocks won't play nice.

charlesshoults

Weaksauce
By the title of the thread, you can see that I've got XP and Ubuntu installed on the same computer. I have their respective hard drives in swappable trays so that one can never see the other. I'm in XP right now. If I shut down the computer, pull the XP drive and put in Ubuntu, it will boot up and everything will be fine. But if I then shut down the computer, pull the Ubuntu drive and put in XP and start back up, the clock will then be 7 hours ahead. XP is set to automatically sync with time.windows.com, but won't actually do so until I open properties and click on "Update Now".

Anyone else dealt with this?

Upgrade to Vista or 7. Ubuntu tried to store the system clock in GMT, XP tries to store the system clock in local time.

By the title of the thread, you can see that I've got XP and Ubuntu installed on the same computer. I have their respective hard drives in swappable trays so that one can never see the other. I'm in XP right now. If I shut down the computer, pull the XP drive and put in Ubuntu, it will boot up and everything will be fine. But if I then shut down the computer, pull the Ubuntu drive and put in XP and start back up, the clock will then be 7 hours ahead. XP is set to automatically sync with time.windows.com, but won't actually do so until I open properties and click on "Update Now".

Anyone else dealt with this?

Typical. Linux is set to GMT and when you logoff it will sync the hardware clock to it. Fix the linux install to use local time and you will be fine.

** No need to update to Vista or 7, your XP is working correctly. You can edit the registry to lower the NTP Sync interval to a very low value.

pcgeek11

Back