Windows x64 people.

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
Ok for the people that have XP x64 how is it in terms of gaming and what you can do. I am gonna get the 64 XP to hold me until Vista is ready for "general use." A lot of people told me I would have to go buy a new copy of Norton? A 64bit copy, because the 32 cant run in 64? I thought for most programs 64 was "backwards" compatible. I would also like it if I could have something that can see all 4Gb of ram.

Windows xp x64 offers little over normal windows 32 bit. It's not worth the upgrade, IMHO.

Vista rocks. It's faster and more stable then XP. If your gonna upgrade to anything, grab Vista x86. It is more than ready for "general use." :rolleyes:

Get rid of Norton. Now. It's crap. NOD32 is the reconmended AV around here, along with AVG Free.

How is Vista 64 then? Or Ultimate for that matter, I have two 8800GTS, and as far as I know Vista SLi drivers are not that great just yet.

I've been useing xp64 for a few weeks now and it has been amazingly stable. I will agree that there isn't alot of preformance gain vs 32bit but IMO it does seem more stable than 32.

There are some driver issues with xp64 ie. maybe an old printer will only have limited support.
You can almost write it in stone that if there is limited xp64 drivers then the same product will have issues with Vista64.

As for gaming I actully get better frame rates out of Xp 64 than I do xp32 or Vista 32(don't have Vista 64)

IMHO even though I have been really happy with xp 64 I wouldn't buy it know unless you need 4gigs of ram. Vista 64 will surpass xp once the bugs get worked out.

If you have to have 4gigs of ram right now, then I would try to get Xp 64 that includes a free upgrade to Vista

Back