Windows x64 Launches Monday

StarWolf

Limp Gawd
Looks like the new 64 bit version of Windows officially launches tomorrow. From Techweb.com:

Microsoft will officially roll out 64-bit versions of its Windows operating systems at its WinHEC conference in Seattle on Monday.

"On Monday, Microsoft will launch their x64 operating systems, both client and server," said Intel spokesperson Erica Fields, in an email intended to emphasize the support the software will have for Intel's processors. "The Windows operating systems have supported Intel's Hyper-Threading technology, execute-disable bit and, now, Intel's 64-bit and dual-core processors."

The OSes will support 64-bit processors from both Intel and AMD.

The site is up and running. The sticking point for me may be all of my USB devices. Do I need to find 64 bit drivers for USB devices too? (Scanner, printer, mouse, palm cradle, etc).

Oh, good point. I completely forgot about my Printer and Scanner. Damnit. Anyone know if epson has 64 drivers?

Not last time I tried to get printing on the Release candidate. Stupid Epson.

Anyone know if the upgrade process will accept an Xp Pro upgrade rather than full version?

I forgot to add my KWorld Video capture card...argh. I would love to goto 64bit if all of the hardware manufacturers were on the same bandwagon..

I found this site off of AMD which lists out a bunch of hardware with driver status for the AMD64 chips. Thoughts?

dargon said:
Anyone know if the upgrade process will accept an Xp Pro upgrade rather than full version?

There is no upgrade process, only full install, so backup all your critical data and prepare for a hard drive wipe.

You are missing my point. What I mean is, can I submit Xp Pro upgrade to microsoft and get a copy of XP64?

No, XP Pro upgrade will not work. It has to be an OEM version that came preinstalled with a PC.

No retail, upgrade or full versions qualify right now from what I understand.

I was able to order the new windows xp 64 bit version . I have the windows xp pro upgrade version. I built my own system. ;)

Riptide_NVN said:
It shouldn't have worked according to this.Clearly an upgrade version should not have qualified.

There was a link, which I can't find now, that you could click if you built your own system.

Back