windows wont recognize new build's HDD

iYoYo

Limp Gawd
checked the BIOS and my 1tb hdd is there. Im not sure why windows 7 cant find any HDD to put the OS in. am I missing something? maybe an HDD driver? my HDD is a seagate 1tb 5900rpm

Go through diskmgmt.msc from Run. You will need to initialize the drive & format it accordingly.

Go through diskmgmt.msc from Run. You will need to initialize the drive & format it accordingly.

i cant go to run yet since I havent installed the OS yet. the problem im having is that the OS cant recognize the HDD where I could install the OS in

I'd try switching the sata mode to AHCI and seeing if that makes a difference, If that doesn't work then I have no idea sorry.

try a non sata 6 port on the board maybe, sometimes windows needs port drivers to access those drives properly.

and your hdd link is a mobo link duplicate

try a non sata 6 port on the board maybe, sometimes windows needs port drivers to access those drives properly.

and your hdd link is a mobo link duplicate

they took it off of newegg but its a seagate 5900 RPM

Ill try what your suggesting tomorrow. Ill let you know what happens

Well, if windows can't detect the drive then yes it might be a driver issue. But still it is weird. HDD aren't picky about drivers usually. And mobo basic drivers should already be there in windows. Try what Ocean said and see what happens.

If you can also boot into a linux environment(using parted magic disk for example), see if the drive is there and can edit it. This will tell you the drive is fine.

@ ocean , just tried putting the drive in sata 3 port and that didnt work.

@sram , Ive been having issues with linux so that cant be an option. i was suppose to use linux on this build instead of windows but I couldnt get it to work.
What if maybe the CD that came with the mobo is crappy and BIOS update would maybe fix this driver problem Im having, you think that would work?

Should I contact Gigabyte with this problem Im having?

@ ocean , just tried putting the drive in sata 3 port and that didnt work.

@sram , Ive been having issues with linux so that cant be an option. i was suppose to use linux on this build instead of windows but I couldnt get it to work.
What if maybe the CD that came with the mobo is crappy and BIOS update would maybe fix this driver problem Im having, you think that would work?

Should I contact Gigabyte with this problem Im having?

Have you ever used parted magic? Just download the latest iso, burn it into a CD, then try booting from it and see if you can see the drive.

I'd try switching the sata mode to AHCI and seeing if that makes a difference, If that doesn't work then I have no idea sorry.
I had the same problem, and after many hours of frustration I changed the AHCI setting in the Bios and that fixed the problem. I can't remember exactly but it had to do with AHCI.

Have you ever used parted magic? Just download the latest iso, burn it into a CD, then try booting from it and see if you can see the drive.

no I dunno what that is, link please?

most likely missing some sata driver.

did the board came with a driver cd?

usually when loading win 7 you can add drivers for it to use at the scan for hard drive screen.

I have the driver CD that came with the board. When Im up to the part where im asked to scan for harddrives I tried popping in that Driver CD, It doesnt work

bump, I still havent fixed this... should I contact gigabyte? also, I have an extra rig I could test stuff on. what should I do?

Might as well test it. I'm fairly lost as to why that's happening for you. Not sure if it's the mobo or the HDD or both not agreeing with each other.

ok so guys.. I know its been awhile but I finally got time to test it and its recognized in my other computer. the drive is working. so whats the problem? again, its recognized in bios but I cant install windows

Back