Windows won't boot

dmonkey

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
1,552
I recently did some overclocking, and I decided to set a 166 divider. Bad luck, the 166 divider rendered the system unbootable, and it wouldn't detect my single drive RAID array.

I reset CMOS, and now whenever I try to boot into windows, a screen comes up beginning with "We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

Now the pc won't boot to windows and it always restarts and bounces back to the POST screen. I have a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, everything is set to stock now in the BIOS, and two 512mb sticks of Mushkin Black TCCD that I know are good.

Can anyone help? Resetting the CMOS won't work, and I don't know what to do.
 
have you checked to make sure everything is plugged in correctly? i had an issue like that with a laptop, the thing kept restarting itself, i finally took out the hard drive and put that back in and the computer loaded up fine.

Maybe formatting your hard drive?

Put in your windows cd rom in the drive and booting from that?
 
I must say I am in denial, I just don't want to reformat my hard drive and reinstall tons of apps, but methinks it might have been corrupted somehow. Thanks for helping out anyway. I will try reformatting.
 
With the windows disk in your drive, you should beable to boot from that, or maybe even repair your windows.

im sure it is a software problem, but pull out all hard ware that you dont need to elimate a few things there.

If you have another hard drive laying around, maybe you can install windows on that and retreive your files.

good luck man!
 
Thanks for the help, I got it fixed up in the end, but I am left going "WTF?" in my mind. I had switched from SATA port 1 to port 3, and that ended up causing the problem.

Thanks for helping! I am going to try OCing again now. My K8N Neo4 Platinum can be quirky.
 
Back
Top