Windows VPN and Gaming

noobman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

I've been playing around with the VPN functionality in Windows XP and Vista.

I have configured my Windows XP laptop to act as a VPN server for my network. My friend attempted to connect to my network and was successful. He was granted an IP address and we were even able to access files on each other's machine (I connected to his default c$ share, since he didn't have "windows" shares enabled).

The only problem is that none of our games worked in LAN mode. I'm curious to know if Windows VPN servers are strict and provide a limited access over specific ports, or if one of us goofed up with our network settings.

Thanks.

edit:
If this can't be done, can anybody recommend a freeware VPN solution that isn't Hamachi or openVPN? I'd honestly just go do this in Linux, but I want to use my local machine to play the game too!

Hi all,

I've been playing around with the VPN functionality in Windows XP and Vista.

I have configured my Windows XP laptop to act as a VPN server for my network. My friend attempted to connect to my network and was successful. He was granted an IP address and we were even able to access files on each other's machine (I connected to his default c$ share, since he didn't have "windows" shares enabled).

The only problem is that none of our games worked in LAN mode. I'm curious to know if Windows VPN servers are strict and provide a limited access over specific ports, or if one of us goofed up with our network settings.

Thanks.

edit:
If this can't be done, can anybody recommend a freeware VPN solution that isn't Hamachi or openVPN? I'd honestly just go do this in Linux, but I want to use my local machine to play the game too!

hamachi.

Back