Windows Vista WTF!?!?!?

Moose777

2[H]4U
I've been using DosBox .073 for a while now and I'm getting tired of having to "Mount" drives every time I want to play a game. So, I decided to hunt for the "dosbox-0.73.conf" file so that I can permanently "mount" my drives.

I can not find the file in the DosBox directory so I start poking around in the "Users" file in the Windows Directory. Still can't find it.

Everything I look to points to the "Users" file in the Windows directory. I do a search for the physical; "F:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\DosBox" folder, but when I do search I am told by Windows Vista that the folder/files I am in search of do not exist.

I've even gone so far as to physically comb through each folder on my "F" drive to find nothing.

This is becoming extremely frustrating. Obviously DosBox is using the above mentioned files in teh above mentioned folder in the above mentioned drives; otherwise, I'm sure DosBox would not be working.

So, why is it that when I go in search of these files, on the specified drive I am told, "Nope, sorry, go fuck yoruself because these files in the specified drive and folders that I'm telling you to look in don't actually exist. I Windows Vista, the bane of all operating systems creates those specific files when DosBox tells me to. Then, when you the USER with ADMINISTRATIVE rights because you the USER own me and tell me what to do; actually want to open those files in those folders on that specific drive will delete them ayutomagically because I am a douchbag operating system."?

Am I missing something? Doing something wrong? Am I actually looking for a file, in a folder, on a drive that doesn't truly exist? Although, I must admit, I find that very hard ot believe. Especially since every DosBox site I go on, which, incidentally does in fact include the official DosBox Wiki tell me the files, and folders do actually exist.

If you have not already figured out, I'm quite frustrated.

And if its any consolation, I did happen to DL Tex Murphy from GOG.com and they were nice enough to include a second copy of DosBox which I installed thinking it may have been an issue with my current copy. I did of course, uninstall my first copy. But, given my current track record with GOG.com I wouldn't be at all suprised if they included a bastardized copy of DosBox that doesn't quite work properly, I mean afterall, their downloader doesn't work worth a shit so why would I expect a copy of DosBox to?

IIRC, you'd need to autogenerate a config file first with DOSBox.

Code:
Z:\> config -writeconf dosbox.conf

It should automatically appear in the DOSBox directory after that command. Why take the hate out on Vista? :rolleyes:

Why? Because I've had other weird issues regarding Vista. This isn't the only time I've gone to look for a file that one program is saying is htere but Vista is telling me its not.

Oh, and thanks for the help. I found the file. :)

Back