Windows Vista versions

jrg70

Weaksauce
I'm putting a new system together and want to upgrade from XP to Vista.
I'm currently running an OEM version of XP Pro that I bought from newegg. I've had it installed on the same rig that I built back in 2004.

My question is should I get an OEM version of Vista or should I get an Academic version?
I quality for both, as far as I can tell.
What are the differences between the two?

Can I do an install of Vista without installing XP first, or do I need to install XP and then install the upgrade version of Vista?

Here are links to the versions I was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116202
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=784207

Thanks

If I had the chance, I'd go with the academic version. Not that there is anything really wrong with the OEM version, but the academic version should be a full retail copy, and it's cheaper.

You basically have to decide how comfortable you are breaking the EULA or something like that. The academic version is great, but technically, you wouldn't be allowed to use it after graduation, or whenever your affiliation with the institution ends.

As for the second part of your subscription, there's an often ignored sticky that details the upgrade process.

You basically have to decide how comfortable you are breaking the EULA or something like that. The academic version is great, but technically, you wouldn't be allowed to use it after graduation, or whenever your affiliation with the institution ends.
According to the agreement on the website regarding academic requirements:
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/eligibility/k12.html
If you're a Student or Parent of a Student currently attending classes from Kindergarten through 12th grade, you can buy most products at a special academic discounts! The Student is the eligible customer and orders may be billed, shipped, and charged in the Parent's name.

I've got a 5th and 7th grader right now (as well as a one year old). So I don't think that will be a problem. This PC is for family use so I'm totally legit!

But they are the same version?

Yes, same version. It's just a discount for a certain people group. The product itself is the same.

Academic Edition SKUs are FPP Retail products. The carry the same licensing restrictions like their retail counterpart. The only difference is that you need to qualify as a student or educator to purchase.

I think you are confusing a retail version versus a volume license sold by the school (usually college/university) which sometimes carries the stipluation which you stated. It's all according to the EULA with each issuing school.

If you qualify for an academic version, I would say grab that over an OEM any day.

As for the second part of your subscription, there's an often ignored sticky that details the upgrade process.

I don't want to confuse matters any more, but...

Is there a reason to look at the 64 bit version?
There is no academic version of the 64 bit version, but I notice a lot of people running it.
What benefit will I get from it and do I need any different hardware?
Will my applications run ok on it?

What is the difference between Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate? Is there really any reason to go for Ultimate?

I don't want to confuse matters any more, but...

Is there a reason to look at the 64 bit version?
There is no academic version of the 64 bit version, but I notice a lot of people running it.
What benefit will I get from it and do I need any different hardware?
Will my applications run ok on it?

What is the difference between Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate? Is there really any reason to go for Ultimate?

1) Yes
2) http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx
3) Faster, can use more than 4GB of RAM, security
4) Yes

Home Basic is worthless. Everyone will agree on this. Most people (myself included) think Ultimate costs too much for barely any gain. Home Premium is good and probably the most popular.

Sorry for the noob questions, but...

I'm planning on probably the following:
Asus P5E
Core 2 Duo Quad Q6600
2x2GB Mushkin DDR-2 800 4-4-4-12
8800 GT 512

On the Microsoft website all it said was you need a 64 bit processor.
Would everything work the same on it as with the 32 bit versions?
I can install my old Quickbooks accounting software, Quake 3 or anything else?
Again, sorry for the basic questions, but I just don't know about it at all.
My last computer I built lasted me about 4 years, so I want to make sure I can do the same again.

Thanks for the replies and the link to the FAQ.

One more question...
I don't know if I want to commit to the 64 bit version right now.
In the FAQ you state
One exception with Vista is OEM licenses, the key will work on both x64 or 32 Bit, but you cannot get the x64 media from Microsoft with an OEM key.
Is this the same with the academic version too?
I think I'd like to reserve the possibility of 64 bit in the future, but I want to make sure I can get a x64 disc without too much trouble

Thanks for the replies and the link to the FAQ.

One more question...
I don't know if I want to commit to the 64 bit version right now.
In the FAQ you state

Is this the same with the academic version too?
I think I'd like to reserve the possibility of 64 bit in the future, but I want to make sure I can get a x64 disc without too much trouble

My academic versions came in either 32 or 64 bit....they didn't start giving me 64-bit access at my school (DigiPen), until a number of us requested it. At a larger school, I'd be surprised if they had it at all.

I think that if your school offers 64-bit media or not is completely up to them. If they don't you can always do the alternate media thing.

And (once again), anything that applies to a normal license of Vista applies to an academic one.

As a follow up to this thread that I started...

My wife has a friend that works for Microsoft and she was able to get an employee discount on Vista Ultimate for cheaper than OEM or academic versions.

I just got all my components delivered from newegg and I plan on giving 64 bit a try. I'm going to use the "clean install" method detailed in this thread. I figure I can make sure all my peripherals and such work before I need to activate. If everything seems ok great. If not, I can install the 32-bit version.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really looking forward getting this thing up and running.

If you don't put a CD key in during the install, you'll have 30 days to make sure everything works to your liking. Then, assuming you are satisified, which I think you will be, you can pop in your CD key, activate, and enjoy.

Can I do an install of Vista without installing XP first, or do I need to install XP and then install the upgrade version of Vista?

Not only can you, I would strongly recommend it. On every PC I did an inplace upgrade (3) from XP to Vista I have ended up re-installing Vista fresh. There has been a noticable difference on those machines.

Vista ultimate 64 is the coolest of the cools. Animated desktops for the win!! ;)

Plus being able to recognise more than 3 gig is nice. I've actually been using in excess of 4 here recently... I was amazed!

Back