Windows Vista Remote Desktop Question

that_rat

n00b
I'm going to finally bite the bullet and upgrade to Vista, specifically either Home Premium or Ultimate.

My question is about Remote Desktop Support.

From Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connections FAQ:

You cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to remote (host) computers running the following editions of Windows Vista:
• Windows Vista Starter
• Windows Vista Home Basic
• Windows Vista Home Basic N
• Windows Vista Home Premium

However, any edition of Windows Vista can be running on your computer (the one you want to connect from).

You cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to remote computers running Windows XP.

Am I to interpret this as meaning I won't be able to use Remote Desktop if I get Home Premium? I sometimes have to VPN from home into work, and then use remote desktop to maintain servers. I'd love to save a little $ if I could just get Home Premium, but it looks like I'll have to get Ultimate.

Can anyone verify the above from Microsoft?

Thanx in advance!

The remote desktop client on Vista can connect to any operating system running rdp. It can be 2k Server, 2K3 Server, Windows XP Pro or Vista Business/Ultimate. The home version of these operating system dont support incoming rdp connections without first sending out an invite.

If you want to connect to your computer remotely using remote desktop then you can run Vista Business instead of going Ultimate but you wont get any of the media center stuff with Business.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, if I get Vista Home Premium, I would be able use the built-in Remote Desktop App to connect to Windows 2003 Server, etc? I just wouldn't be able to remote into the installation of Home Premium unless I was to get Vista Ultimate, correct? I don't currently remote into my Windows XP box, so I don't see this as to much of a loss.

Microsoft's FAQ is very confusing...

Yep thats correct. Youll have no problems connecting to Server 2003 running Home Premium.

Don't know why this is confusing, that article describes it 100%.

You cannot (same as in XP), connect TO any Home editions.
You can connect FROM pretty much anything, but only TO Servers or Professional editions.

Thanks everyone for your responses. This will save me about $80 from newegg.com!

And what I meant by confusing is that the article mentions all of the operating systems you can't connect to, but doesn't mention what operating systems you can connect. A simple list of what you can't connect to and what you can connect to would have been nice, not just one side of the equation. Just very vaguely written FAQ I guess, but what else can you expect from Microsoft?

Again, thanx for all the responses!

I can use my XP Home to RDP to my Vista Business machine but can not RDP to my XP Home Machine from Vista Business. If it were Pro I could.

On my Vista Business system, I can RDP to my XP Home machine, but I can not use XP Home to remote to Vista Business. If it were XP Pro I could.

This is incorrect.

You CAN RDP to XP Pro.
You CANNOT RDP to XP Home without 3rd party applications.
You CANNOT RDP to Vista Home Basic without 3rd party applications.
You CANNOT RDP to Vista Home Premium without 3rd party applications.

You CAN RDP from <ANYTHING> to an OS running RDP Server (Terminal Services).

You CAN RDP from Win95 to XP Pro / Vista Business / Vista Ultimate / Server OS's
You CAN RDP from Win98 to XP Pro / Vista Business / Vista Ultimate / Server OS's
You CAN RDP from WinME to XP Pro / Vista Business / Vista Ultimate / Server OS's
You CAN RDP from <Anything> to XP Pro / Vista Business / Vista Ultimate / Server OS's

I seriously don't know why this confuses people.

Home OS? Can't remote TO it.
Pro or Server OS? You can remote TO it.
You can remote FROM just about anything, however.

Back