Windows Vista Index Score and New Ram

Hey guys, just finished my new build. Anyway, everything seems to be working fine however I've run into two things that have been bothering me. All my scores in the Vista index score seem to be fine except for my memory score which is a 5.0. I don't think this is normal because my friend has a memory score of 5.9, and his ram is DDR2 667 while mine is DDR2 800. Also in 3dmark 06, my score was the lowest out of 11 people with similar configurations as mine, leaving me to believe I have some type of problem, which I think has to do with the ram. I've been tinkering around in the bios, but when I change the memory timings and save, they do not change. Here is the ram I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227124

I'm using a q6600 processor and the EVGA 650i motherboard. Thanks for any help! :)

Hey guys, just finished my new build. Anyway, everything seems to be working fine however I've run into two things that have been bothering me. All my scores in the Vista index score seem to be fine except for my memory score which is a 5.0. I don't think this is normal because my friend has a memory score of 5.9, and his ram is DDR2 667 while mine is DDR2 800. Also in 3dmark 06, my score was the lowest out of 11 people with similar configurations as mine, leaving me to believe I have some type of problem, which I think has to do with the ram. I've been tinkering around in the bios, but when I change the memory timings and save, they do not change. Here is the ram I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227124

I'm using a q6600 processor and the EVGA 650i motherboard. Thanks for any help! :)

just modify the xml files if you dont want to do work...

however for the 3dmark06 thing, how many things are you running in the backround? and what was the ram that you got? you may have ddr2 800 ram, but if the timing is 99-99-99-1000 it doesnt matter if its ddr2 800

find the stock timing online, and hen check to see if it is the same in the bios, on my motherboard it defaults to 5-5-5-15, when it should be at 4-4-4-12, so that could be one problem. or you can just overclock the ram, but to be honest... you should have gotten ballistix or something fast that can keep up with a q6600 (and allow you to overclock), theres no reason why you would have the worst computer unless they all have C2Q E6850's and 8800s

edit: in your sig it says you have the DDR2 800 OCZ Gold (2x1GB)

and im sorry for saying this, and dont take it personally. but that ram is absolute crap. even looking at the newegg reviews (which you really should base buying a part from) you can see it is total crap, 35% of the people gave it 1 egg.

but you have that ram, i suggest checking the devider and a bios update. then give it a little more voltage and see what you can do with it

You the sad thing is your memory is getting beat by DDR400 too.
5.9.jpg

cheack your timings and you command rate. That is most likely the problem.

Thanks for the replies. My memory timing is 5-5-5-15 (or something real close to that maybe 5-5-5-12). I've tried messing around with the timings, but everytime I change them in bios save and exit, they go back to the normal timings. Very frustrating. I haven't updated my bios, so I'll try that. I'm not familiar with what your saying about the command rate... maybe I am but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Should I try keeping the stock timings and going to 2.1v? My volts now is like 1.8.

Little Update: I've was able to change my memory timings after I upped the voltage to 2.1v. My timings are now 4-5-5-13 1t. It really didn't like when I messed with the RRD,RC,WR,and WTR timings,(wouldn't boot, reset to normal settings) so I had to keep them on auto. While I was able to change my timings, my Index score did not go up :( . Oddly enough, my Disk data transfer rate went from 5.6 - 5.7. I know there's a big relation between CPU and Memory so I gathered some data on my q6600. It's getting 1.144v, Bus = 266.7 mhz, Rated FSB = 1066.6 mhz, core speed = 1600 mhz (multiplier = 6.0) .Would changing anything with the CPU help my memory score? I would rather not OC my cpu because it's been running fine. I'm going to check my 3dmark06 score to see if the timings helped it.

*Edit - 3dmark score up a couple hundred points, but still the slowest out of the group. Good to see a little progress, however I would really like to get my 3dmark score out of the ditch, and to get my ram set straight.

The memory bandwith is greatly affected by your low default (1066) FSB. Because your memory need to go trough the FSB to reach the CPU so if you want to boost your score (and your performance) overclock your FSB (and your CPU at the same time).

A lot of people run their FSB at 1600+ around here (we overclock) mine is 1700 with the ram at 850 4-4-4-12-1T (Linked -> Sync Mode) and I get 5.9 on all the scores. With a 8X multi that give me 3.4Ghz speed on the CPU (an E6420).

What voltage/ FSB would I have to set my CPU to get 1:1. I was thinking maybe getting it to 3.0 ghz.

Ok. Here goes. Got my CPU to 3.0 ghz by changing frequencies to 1333 mhz. Also changed my voltages which allowed me to do this. Changed them to CPU core 1.35v, CPU FSB to 1.3v, Memory still at 2.1v, Nforce SPP at 1.4v. My memory and FSB are unlinked at 1333 CPU FSB and 800 mhz memory. Timings still at 4-5-5-13-1t. Got everything up and running and my memory score boosted to 5.5 and my 3d mark score improved 800 points. While this was good, I still feel like it's not what it should be. So, I set my CPU multiplier to 8x (it was at 9) and upped the fsb from 1333 to 1500 (still putting my CPU at 3.0 ghz). Everything booted fine and displayed POST but then it wouldn't load windows (just black screen, upon reboot told me to insert windows disc) so I had to set it back to 9 and 1333 to get 3.0 ghz. Question- Why won't it allow me to set 3.0 ghz as 8x with the 1500? Once again, thanks for the help, I feel like I am real close to being done with this.

Because higher FSB = Harder for chipset/CPU

To run a 1700FSB (at 8x my CPU is E6420) I run those voltages:
1.4375Vcore
1.4 FSB
1.95 memory (825 4-4-4-15 1T - Linked -> Sync Mode)
1.4 SPP
1.55 MCP
1.4 HT

keep ramping up those voltages and you shorten your chipset lifespan, not to mention just outright fry it at some point.

Overclocking at low or stock voltages is harmless for the most part

Back