Windows vista Home Premium 64 - BSOD like mad

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
I've got a wonderfully bluescreening system and not a clue where to start.

Biostar TA690G mobo (AMD 690 chipset)
4gb ram at stock speeds
Athlon64 X2 5000+ at stock speeds
Evga 8800GT KO, also at stock speeds
Audigy 2 ZS
Seasonic S12-500 PSU, voltages seem ok, I think.

Updated all of the windows updates, latest drivers for everything (Except the mobo, which doesn't seem to have any updates).

If i fire up media center or click on the 32 bit control panel, BSOD to a reboot, instantly, but not every time.

It's perfectly stable in XP, memtest passes 24 hour test, Prime 12 hour test also fine.

BSOD said it couldn't do a graphics driver reset. Everything is brand new.

Any clues?

Do you have to load some kind of chipset driver for that board?

I ~think~ so: The Mobo cd has one, but it honestly doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot. I'll double check. Pulled the audigy, wiped the system, and downloading WU now with a fresh install.

I'm waiting for someone to post this:

"1. Format HD
2. Reinstall XP
3. Problem solved/happy"

I know someone will.

Geez dude, you pretty much covered the questions we were gonna ask you to trouble shoot your problems....Sounds really fishy if you ask me, but you aren't so here we go.

What drivers are you using for your " Vista " install?

Pull 2gb out then go to Microsoft and grab the 3gb patch for Vista 64bit, install then reboot and install the other 2gb of memory.

Pull 2gb out then go to Microsoft and grab the 3gb patch for Vista 64bit, install then reboot and install the other 2gb of memory.
If it's the same patch I am thinking of, it only covers systems that have trouble installing with the full 4 GB in use. That issue also only covers a very small group of boards/chipsets. If Vista made it through the install routine, I don't think this patch would help...although it certainly won't hurt to have it installed.

Reinstalled with only 2GB in, patched, put next 2 back in. Still crashing with 4GB. Stable with 2GB (either stick, either slot).

Geez dude, you pretty much covered the questions we were gonna ask you to trouble shoot your problems....Sounds really fishy if you ask me, but you aren't so here we go.

What drivers are you using for your " Vista " install?

Legal copy, latest official drivers for all hardware.

ok. got it stable with DRAM set to DDR 667. Obviously, this isn't optimal. Tried it in 2T mode as well: made no difference.

I have a setting called "Bank Swizzle mode"

anyone know wtf that is?

edit: it ~was~ stable at 667 until I loaded 3dMark06.

So it was your memory settings...Change the title to "Vista64 BSODing due to my system bios configuration".

Thanks bro!

Read the manual, or google it.

Nope, it just takes longer to crash, but it's still crashing with 4gb. The memory is DDR800 ram.

And manual says nothing (it's a crappy 30 page manual with nothing), adn google just says it's some form of memory interleve.

If its still crashing its time to load up memtest86 and test the memory.

Do you have the speed, timings AND voltage correct?

If its still crashing its time to load up memtest86 and test the memory.

Do you have the speed, timings AND voltage correct?

Yes on all. Will fire up memtest again, but it passed before I installed vista.

Speed is set manually to 6-6-6-18, volts are dead on (1.95), and DDR 800.

Yes on all. Will fire up memtest again, but it passed before I installed vista.

Speed is set manually to 6-6-6-18, volts are dead on (1.95), and DDR 800.

What memory do you have? 6-6-6-18 seems rather odd :confused: Also 1.95v maybe too low for running 4gb and you may need 2.0v or higher.

check biostar webpage obviously/ do a search for others with the board...

2) next time biostar ftl :p

can you write down the bsod error your getting.. and print it out here..

agreed up the volt a bit.. but thats seriously weird timings..

also reset the motherboard bios.... check for upgrades on firmware

check biostar webpage obviously/ do a search for others with the board...

2) next time biostar ftl :p

can you write down the bsod error your getting.. and print it out here..

agreed up the volt a bit.. but thats seriously weird timings..

also reset the motherboard bios.... check for upgrades on firmware

Biostar's page doesn't actually mention the board. I'm on the latest beta bios, although I also tried the latest "stable" bios I could find on the taiwan site as well.

the BSOD error was the "unable to reset video driver" error. I can get the core dump, maybe, if I saved it from before the format.

Seemed like normal timings for a DDR2 stick to me :confused:

Don't be a smart ass

His suggestion is actually a good one, sometimes a boost in voltage does help stability. Especially with 4GB

Smart ass? :confused: How? I honestly bought all new hardware, and I'm having trouble geting it going. I just want to play DX10 games!

I'll bump the volts to 2.1. any more than that and I'd be a little iffy about keeping it there.

remove your video drivers and reboot. and reinstall them...

that is a super weird video issue.

If that's true, then why are my sticks rated at 4-4-4-12 and capable of running 4-4-4-12 @ DDR2-800 speeds...And run at 5-5-5-15 DDR2-1180 speeds...

I've got cheaper sticks: Mine cost all of $135 for 4gb, and also OC like mad because of the looser timings.

remove your video drivers and reboot. and reinstall them...

that is a super weird video issue.

Found the problem:

The AMD690 chipset has a broken 64-bit DMA mode. Some Mobo makers have worked around it with a bios fix. Biostar has not: With 4gb of ram and a PCIE video card, you get corruption on the bus and a crash, every single time.

So, now I'm shopping for a new AM2 board. Anyone got a recommendation?

Heh if you see all this trouble to play DX10 games you're in for a huge disappointment. You see, all you're going to get is lower framerates.

If there's some 'dx10 only' title you want, google for a crack which will enable it for DX9. It will still look the same.

DX10 is a MS conspiracy to push Vista and a failed one at that since it brings only negative effects.

AMD chipsets aren't that bad, you just got a crappy Biostar board.

The new 790 chipset is great.

I had this exact problem. If you have 4 1gig sticks of memory, pull out 2 sticks and see if it does it. If not then load

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/

That fixed my issues, sucks that each time i have to reinstall i have to pull 2 gig of mem.

I know that this patch has a different stop code, but so did mine.

I hope this helps

I had this exact problem. If you have 4 1gig sticks of memory, pull out 2 sticks and see if it does it. If not then load

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/

That fixed my issues, sucks that each time i have to reinstall i have to pull 2 gig of mem.

I know that this patch has a different stop code, but so did mine.

I hope this helps

did that patch ~long~ ago ;) As well as all of the Nvidia and AMD hotfixes.

And yes, I do have that issue, but I installed with 2gb in the first place and then added 2 more.

Back