Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Running an older build

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Wish I had a Vista build

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • What is Vista?

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
Forgot the option for "don't want a Vista build until it's final, and even then I'm in no hurry" :)

I'm enjoying the new features, and trying to give the proper feedback to make things better...

noname4no.jpg

micron said:
I'm enjoying the new features, and trying to give the proper feedback to make things better...

noname4no.jpg

Now although I am a big linux user and use windows for those few progs I have, that does look sweet and very useful (esp for MAtlab)

odd seing something in Vista that is useful

I have beta1 running in virtual pc, does beta2 come as an update or a whole new install?

edit: Looks like a whole install... =/

Looks like another way to waste my spare cpu cycles.

I imagine all of those cutsie features and shading will take a toll on lower end systems.

Now, if they can take the bare-ass kernel of windows xp and make it run as fast and crap free as windows 3.10, I would run out and buy it.

i generally find the beta much faster than xp.
i read the reason they can have all the new effects and have actually quicker is because they let the video card render the gui, versus having the cpu do it(like all previous versions on windows). microsoft will certainly scale vista so lower end machine will not feel the hit.

Obi_Kwiet said:
How do I obtain it?
Probably via:
  1. MSDN subscription
  2. Having been chosen as a beta-tester by MS
  3. Large Enterprise
  4. MS Vista Developer
  5. Illegal Channels that get a leaked version from one of the above

but I would be curious about a legal way to get a copy as well.

The easiest and cheapest way right now for just any Joe Blow to get a legal copy of Vista is through Microsoft TechNet Plus , this gets you access to a bunch of Microsoft beta stuff and prerelease OS's. It's meant for IT people who are testing it all for businesses, but anyone can subscribe, the TechNet Plus is $559 right now for a year, after a 30% discount.

drizzt81 said:
Probably via:
  1. MSDN subscription
  2. Having been chosen as a beta-tester by MS
  3. Large Enterprise
  4. MS Vista Developer
  5. Illegal Channels that get a leaked version from one of the above

but I would be curious about a legal way to get a copy as well.

i am neither of the first fourth so i voted for "wish i had vista build"

Asian Dub Foundation said:
i am neither of the first fourth so i voted for "wish i had vista build"

See my post above- anyone can join TechNet for $550, assuming getting to use Vista (and not warez it) is worth that to you.

Zorn said:
See my post above- anyone can join TechNet for $550, assuming getting to use Vista (and not warez it) is worth that to you.

thx but man that is a steep price... but i hope the FINAL Vista retail, for one of those nicer editions (can't keep track of how many variants MS putting out), woudlnt cost around that ballpark

I used Longhorn shortly after the first beta was released, and it wasnt too shabby. I no longer have access to the MSDN, so I havent tried Vista yet. Looks sweet though!

but the specs needed scared me off, my 2.6ghz amd machine with my x800 xt will crumble before it, realistically how does she handle?

I think you should check this article out, it was front page [H]|OCP material:
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB112743680328349448,00.html?mod=todays_us_page_one
It talks about why it's taking so long for Vista to come out and it's optimizations.

According to the article they threw everything out and started over. With any hope Vista won't be full of bloatware, and as such it should be able to run on many machines and be incrementally upgradeable and patchable (which is microsofts plan to combat other os'es). As such it should be able to run very quickly on machines much lower than it's "minimum spec" which is probably more like a recommended spec.

I'm actually still wondering whether I've any reason to switch from Win2k to WinXP Pro :p

Elledan said:
I'm actually still wondering whether I've any reason to switch from Win2k to WinXP Pro :p

no, not really

LOL

MS needs to stop stealing our CPU megahurtz!
2000 with a UI and security update would be awesome, but then they could not charge a bunch of money for it.

Steel Chicken said:
2000 with a UI and security update would be awesome, but then they could not charge a bunch of money for it.

They have that and it's called "Windows XP" and they DO charge a lot of money for it. :p

S1nF1xx said:
They have that and it's called "Windows XP" and they DO charge a lot of money for it. :p

My point exactly. Why spend $100+ for a new OS, when its not really new?

lol, I just finally got my video drivers installed for the emulated virtual pc. Before one could just use the virtual machine additions and it took care of things, but with beta2 it doesnt ever finish installing. After searching the additions iso for the video drivers the hardware finally came up. I instantly wanted to see the alt tab stuff and the window key + space 3d rotations, just to find that nothing worked and it looked exactly like beta1. Then it hit me, the emulated video hardware doesnt support all the new fancy stuff. So untill I get a dvd burner and a harddrive that I can play with I wont be able to see this real time. =(

Back