windows Vista and wireless zero service lag?

damonposey

2[H]4U
In XP I could turn this service to manual and the connection would still work, I wouldn't get those pauses, and everything would be good. If I turn off this WLAN service in vista, it disables everything, but in vista I still get that pausing in gaming, is there a fix for this?

Pausing in gaming? Im not sure why it would cause that. Are you actually using wireless to connect?

yes. using my wireless network to connect, and to game. the same thing happened in xp until i disabled the wireless zero service.

I don't think I'd want to use a wireless connection for gaming, but that's for another thread. If the service is a problem, does your wireless NIC have it's own management utility?

I don't think I'd want to use a wireless connection for gaming, but that's for another thread. If the service is a problem, does your wireless NIC have it's own management utility?

it doesn't. i've used it for gaming under windows xp with no lag at all, and pings of around 50 consistently. as long as i had the wireless zero service off so it stopped looking for networks to connect to

I wonder if its the same thing I see on my Vista. I dont use wireless but I do get intermittent "pauses" mid game that can sometimes lag me into trouble.. (also sometimes lags me into crashing the game but very rarely)

I havent yet figured out the cause of these "pauses" though. I dont have any wireless installed.

I can confirm the same thing in XP, damon.

That was with one of my USB wireless adapters (I didnt try any others).

I would recommend getting an adapter that has its own management utility for Vista.

The lag you were experiencing in XP and are experiencing in Vista is directly related to the WZC service. I'm going through the same thing.

Against all logic, the WZC probes for access points every 60 seconds even when you're successfully connected to an access point. This probe causes the lag you're experiencing in your games. In XP, the WZC was a separate service that you could disable after you connected to an access point which would allow you to stay connected without WZC probing every 60 damn seconds.

In Vista the WZC services was tied into the WLAN service which controls all network connections. Disabling this will effectively kill your connection. So now, we're effectively screwed as the WZC still probes and cannot be disabled without bringing everything down with it.
The only solution I can see is to use 3rd party wireless software that doesn't probe after it connects to an access point. Problem being that 3rd party software has a tendency to be rather bloated and currently most major vendors haven't released compatible software...just drivers.

Im running XP on my gaming machine now because Im forced to be wireless for now and if I don't want lag spikes every 60 seconds, Vista can't be used.

I can also backup his statement in reference to WZC causing lag spikes (pauses) in online gaming. Basically every 60 secs you'll get a spike.
As to using wireless, I did not have any problems using my wireless card with XP. However with vista, although I have good download rates (1200KB) I would notice a drop in speed and it would pick back up using vista. It was not untill I actually started using vista for gaming that I really noticed there was a problem.
Currently there appears to be no fixes for this issue besides locating a 3rd party vendor that handles wireless connections. I have a 2 linksys wireless cards (one is supported and one is not). I bought the 2nd card specifically for vista because there was drivers available for it.
I however do not have this issue when I use a hardline connection to the onboard NIC.
For those of you who are curious,
I move my PC from my home during the work week (wired) to my home for the weekend (wireless).

Sorry for the resurrection, but this problem is still annoying the crap out of me. Has anyone found a solution? I am currently using a Netgear WPN111 usb wireless adapter. I don't have any other options for my connection (apartment has no wired internet) and I need to find a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same here. I have my XBOX 360 bridged to my rig and connected wirelessly to my D-Link DGL-4300 Gaming Router. I really don't want to spend $100 on the 360 wireless adapter, or even $30 on a 3rd party wireless bridge.

it doesn't. i've used it for gaming under windows xp with no lag at all, and pings of around 50 consistently. as long as i had the wireless zero service off so it stopped looking for networks to connect to

I may be mistaken but I think you can setup the WZC so it will not look for any other network, so it will stick with the current connection.

Back