windows vista 64bit. good thing?

Hey, another postcount++.

There is no answer to that question right now, except, we'll see. Right now, there's no real reason to be running a 64 bit OS on a desktop computer, except for the very very very small percentage of people who use an application that's already been coded for a 64 bit OS. Well, there is a second reason, but most people are comfortable with their e-wang size, and don't need to get caught up in the *wow* factor. Driver compatibility is definitely lagging behind the 32 bit side. If I decide to upgrade to Vista anytime soon, I won't be going with the 64 bit version. Until there's an actual need, or a fair amount of 64 bit applications out there, it's not worth the driver hassles.

Ya 64bit hasn't really givin anykind of huge leap in performance desktop wise but like djnes mentioned people like big e-wangs

rcf1987 said:
Ya 64bit hasn't really givin anykind of huge leap in performance desktop wise but like djnes mentioned people like big e-wangs

Yet...

When Vista is released, and which ever package you choose, do you get both 32bit and 64bit versions and a simple choice during installation? I mean you'd obviously want to use 32bit version first, but say a year or more down the line when the 64bit version support picks you could just reinstall with the 64 bit option right? I know there's no way to know right now, but they won't force you to pay all over again for a 64bit version will they?

TimothyB said:
When Vista is released, and which ever package you choose, do you get both 32bit and 64bit versions and a simple choice during installation? I mean you'd obviously want to use 32bit version first, but say a year or more down the line when the 64bit version support picks you could just reinstall with the 64 bit option right? I know there's no way to know right now, but they won't force you to pay all over again for a 64bit version will they?

I believe it's been stated that Retail copies of windows will come with both versions and that they will work off of the same key, so you could install 32 in January and 64 whenever (if ever) it makes sense. Nobody knows if OEM versions will also come with both version.

I hope that's how it works for OEM and Educational versions too.

Back