Windows Vista 5.1 Troubles

melomania

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
266
Sigh, I am running x64 version of Windows Vista RC1. My audio card is Audigy 2 Value. I have the x64 drivers installed but I get no 5.1 sound. Instead I get two speakers and a sub. I configured the speakers in the Sound options for Vista and tested them. I get sound from all speakers but when I play music in WMP11 or Winamp I dont get 5.1 sound.

Wtf is up?
 
You shouldn't get 5.1 sound from Winamp or Media Player unless you're also using an upmixer. If you're playing back a stereo (2.0) source, the output should be stereo.

There are Vista drivers for the Audigy 2 line?
 
ive got sound out of all 5 before, i dont see why this is different.

And yes, there are drivers.
 
You had a global upmixer enabled that was upmixing everything -- source of that being your driver's control panel.

Windows alone won't give you 5.1 audio for a stereo source.
 
I do have the Creative audio console. Now I had it setup right but I still not nothing, I tried both checking and unchecking it to synchronize with windows control panel. I tried CMSS and Stereo Surround.

So what do I need to do then?
 
The new vista audio model does provide built-in effects such as expanding stereo to 5.1 however its only available by default with certain drivers (mostly integrated HD-audio solutions). Otherwise its upto the driver maker, in this case creative to either use the windows method or make/implement their own.

As well creative and pretty much everyone elses drivers aren't really complete at this point, don't really expect too much in terms of driver support or features until january when vista hits retail.
 
I have no experience with Vista but normally to activate the upmixer you would just make sure your speakers are set to 5.1 in the Audio Console, then head over to CMSS3d tab and enable it.
 
I also looked on creatives website and they say this about their current drivers:
The Vista audio architecture changes the way per-stream audio processing works, which required us to write new software to support this.

Issues that may be encountered:
CMSS no longer works on audio streams from the OS.
Status:
Features based on Windows XP architecture must be rewritten to conform to the new Vista architecture, and we have a team of software engineers, project managers and testers dedicated to this task in order to provide our customers the same seamless audio experience under Windows Vista that they enjoyed under Windows XP.

Essentially, you have to use a plugin like Mister X linked to or wait until creative releases fully working drivers.
 
I havent used Winamp in two years but I believe it has a built in setting somewhere to enable upmixing to all 4 speakers, look for it and enable it.
 
Back
Top