• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Windows version for 8gb ram

Windows Vista is also based directly on Server 2003. Think before you speak.

Oh, I see what you did, you attempted to make a good point but fell flat on the actual execution.

Operating systems based on Windows Server 2003: Windows XP 64bit, Windows Vista 32bit, Windows Vista 64bit, Windows Home Server.

Operating systems based on Windows Vista: Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 32bit, and Windows 7 64bit.

I don't mean Vista is an offspring of Sever 2008. I meant they're essentially the same thing.
 
XP 64 has the worst driver support. I would say, download the "leaked" Windows 7 RC1 from your fave torrent site and know that you will eventually have to wipe your windows partition and buy a copy of Windows 7 when the beta keys time out (you can still get beta keys from windows.com)

Other than that, Vista 64 has awesome driver support for all the latest hardware and with 8 gigs of RAM, performance will be stellar. I'm very happy with Vista 64 Home Premium. Be sure to get an OEM copy from Fry's Electronics or NewEgg... DO NOT buy a retail boxed copy, such a rip off.

I am dual-booting with both but lack of nVidia chipset drivers is hampering my HDD performance in Windows 7 (I'm stuck using the Windows SATA drivers which also hamper performance in Vista until you install the nVidia drivers). I'm just going to assume nVidia will release drivers soon.
 
Its the cheapest out of all of them, probably next to free. I run xp x64 pro and it runs everything smooth as butter. Only thing missing is dx10. It handles everything just like xp. Holding out until windows 7. No reason to go vista. It would be a waste right now. Windows 7 is like vista 2.0. I wouldn't get vista right now. Cheapest way would be just to stick with what you have for now.

The 70XX series of Win 7 x64 betas work much better then any XP 64 setup that most people are running, and is 100% free. At the most you'll have to do one OS reinstall in the fall when Win7 officially hits, but you'd be doing that anyway by going to XP 64 right now. There may be some whacked out legacy part that may not play well with Win7 x64, but this is the OS that people will be stupid to not upgrade to from XP and Vista. Vista 64 is rock solid, has been for over a year. I wouldn't spend money on it right now tho, just grab a torrent of the 7057 x64, or wait 3 weeks for the RTC to release which will last you till the official run this fall.

I've run the 7000 x64 since release with 8 gigs of ram and a 4870, never a hardlock, bsod or crash. I've also run the 7057 x64 since the public leak and it is basically the same experience. The *only* problem I've ever had was a recent Hauppuage HVR 1600 purchase, which turned out to be a gigantic piece of garbage that was returned the next day. I won't blame that on Win 7 or vista, that is purely vendor hardware and software problem, kind of like how Creative operates.
 
Back
Top