• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Windows version for 8gb ram

include_pr

n00b
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
10
Currently building a new system and ordered 8gb of ram with a intelCore2duo. I wanted to know the best version of windows to install 64/32bit xp or vista, that can better utilize the full 8gb of ram. System mainly for gaming and virtualization. I know xp 32bit will only detect up to 4GB. Thanks for the help.
 
Windows 7 Beta that box until RTM. Don't bother buying Vista x64 or XP x64. It's not worth it at this point.
 
XP Pro x64. Until Windows 7 comes out and is proven.


Vista64 and Win7 64 have both been proven. To the OP; if you can, stick with what you have. Wait for Windows 7. Neither Vista nor XP are worth getting at this point.
 
Vista64 and Win7 64 have both been proven. To the OP; if you can, stick with what you have. Wait for Windows 7. Neither Vista nor XP are worth getting at this point.

Vista has been proven (to be sh*t) and 7 is still a beta. XP Pro x64 is based on Server 2k3 so it's the most stable option of the 3.
 
Vista has been proven (to be sh*t) and 7 is still a beta. XP Pro x64 is based on Server 2k3 so it's the most stable option of the 3.

How has Vista proven to be sh*t? The OP would be quite happy with Vista x64.
 
How has Vista proven to be sh*t? The OP would be quite happy with Vista x64.

He wants it for gaming and virtualisation, so it's got to be fast and stable. In my experience XP Pro is more stable than Vista Home Premium and I've had numerous issues with Vista I just didn't have with XP (including the infamous KSOD and throttling of network transfers).
 
If you want it now, get Vista 64, if you can wait a bit hold off with XP32 (assuming you have it) and get windows 7 - 64.

I am currently running Vista 64 w/ 8GB RAM myself and <3 it! But with 7 around the corner it it probably worth it to pick it up when it is released. and I remember hearing how you can fool XP32 to "use" memory above 4GB. kinda sets it up like swap space, not ass efficient as actual ram, but still better then the HD. Might be worth it if you are indeed going to hold out. But only Vista and above for M$ products as they have superfetch, which will makes your computer FLY!
 
He wants it for gaming and virtualisation, so it's got to be fast and stable. In my experience XP Pro is more stable than Vista Home Premium and I've had numerous issues with Vista I just didn't have with XP (including the infamous KSOD and throttling of network transfers).


Uhh... Oh.. My... /double face palm

I use my sig rig for both actually, heavy tasks with VMWare and ESXi. I can have anywhere from 2-3VM's running while playing games. I can't imagine running with out Vista 64, other than my W7 VM is awesome too.

Vista is: Fast, and plenty stable.
 
You said one of the reasons for having the extra ram is gaming. Keep in mind that a 32-bit game, even under a 64-bit OS, can still only access two gigs of ram just due to being a 32-bit executable.
 
Vista has been proven (to be sh*t) and 7 is still a beta. XP Pro x64 is based on Server 2k3 so it's the most stable option of the 3.

Ok lets play the compare-with-a-Server game. Vista is based on 2008.

Whoa, see what I did there?

Personal experience does not a proven OS make.

Vista64 is proven. Learn2Troubleshoot.
 
Don't waste your time with Vista, download the beta of Win7 until the full release, then just get 7.
 
Even though I'm running Vista 64, I wouldn't buy it now. I love it but Windows 7 is around the corner. You can spend $100 now and get Vista and spend another $XXX when Windows 7 comes out. Or just wait and not spend the $100 on Vista now and still get Windows 7 when it comes out. I think it's a little late in the game to get Vista.

As far as gaming goes, Vista 64 with 12GB of RAM is unstoppable for me. Very fast and very stable.
 
XP Pro x64. Until Windows 7 comes out and is proven.

Congratulations, worst thread advice award winner. It's very common knowledge somehow not so common to you that XP64 is the worst x64 OS out there right now due to driver and compatibility issues that vendors didn't care much about since they were devoting resources to Vista.

Vista x64 is your safest bet OP, but Win7 x64 is a fairly safe risk being heavily based on the tried and true Vista x64. You will just have to reinstall when the trial ends of course.

Somehow I get the impression that many of you don't know much about Win7 if you think it's so much better then Vista. It's better BECAUSE it's based on Vista and has had years of refinement by now.
 
Oh god, don't go dissing XP Pro x64 or I'll lay a smackdown on ya that'll be echoing through eternity. As far as "the worst x64 OS out there right now," that statement... geezus, I can't believe some of the people around here that seem to be intelligent and knowledgeable still make such blatantly false posts... ugh.

While I am in strong favor of Windows 7 x64 at this point (or Windows 7 in general, not just the 64 bit version), XP Pro x64 still has a place depending on the role someone wishes to use it with.

But... "the worst"?!?!?! We need a facepalm emoticon around here, we really do... and while I think the person that first suggested it needs a bit more tact when making his point, there is a purpose for XP Pro x64, still, and there always will be. Hey, some people still use Windows 2000 for specific purposes and it leaves all other versions of Windows in the dust in those roles... ;)

Bleh.

Wait for Windows 7, that's the recommendation these days. Don't spend money on an OS, use what you've got if possible, but skip Vista completely at this stage, it's not worth sinking money into unless you can get it really really cheap (like well under $100 or whatever).

'Nuff typed.
 
In my experience
There you go. Unless your experience equates to a proven fact that everyone can agree with...it doesn't really mean anything. When you give advice to someone, you stick to that facts, and not one particular single personal experience. Vista has been proven, over and over, to be fast and stable, and in many cases, faster, than XP.

If the OP isn't going to hold out for Windows 7, and wants a final OS now, Vista x64 is the answer.
 
I wouldn't bother with xp64...it's not bad, but it's not supported very well driver-wise and for me, had a habit of corrupting itself. I'd say just run w7 64-bit until they release it officially.
 
Oh god, don't go dissing XP Pro x64 or I'll lay a smackdown on ya that'll be echoing through eternity. As far as "the worst x64 OS out there right now," that statement... geezus, I can't believe some of the people around here that seem to be intelligent and knowledgeable still make such blatantly false posts... ugh.

While I am in strong favor of Windows 7 x64 at this point (or Windows 7 in general, not just the 64 bit version), XP Pro x64 still has a place depending on the role someone wishes to use it with.

But... "the worst"?!?!?! We need a facepalm emoticon around here, we really do... and while I think the person that first suggested it needs a bit more tact when making his point, there is a purpose for XP Pro x64, still, and there always will be. Hey, some people still use Windows 2000 for specific purposes and it leaves all other versions of Windows in the dust in those roles... ;)

Bleh.

Wait for Windows 7, that's the recommendation these days. Don't spend money on an OS, use what you've got if possible, but skip Vista completely at this stage, it's not worth sinking money into unless you can get it really really cheap (like well under $100 or whatever).

'Nuff typed.

Worst doesn't mean worthless, it just means there are better choices. I didn't say it sucked but I can see how that could be taken with how I worded it. Buying XP right now is a bad investment due to it having less support in the future than Vista and 7, more driver/compatibility issues, and it won't be any cheaper either. If everything works with the windows 7 beta, then yes thats his best course of action though Vista is certainly a good buy still.
 
Vista has been proven (to be sh*t) and 7 is still a beta. XP Pro x64 is based on Server 2k3 so it's the most stable option of the 3.

Wow, so many people weighing in on this.

I think a lot of people have flamed amp88 for good reason, I used XP x64 for about 3 months, driver support sucks ass, the kernal is identical to Server 2003 (check version number, and the service pack 2 is actually the same file for both 2k3 x64 and XP 64, and saying Vista is based off Server 2008 is BS, 2008 came out after Vista so technically it's the other way around).

Vista x64 is rock solid, I have not had a single hard lock, BSOD crash to desktop, nothing, everything works, and with 8GB of ram it is blistering fast with superfetch, XP x64 crashed almost daily for me.

I use VMWare player and it runs pretty fast, although I have hardly used it, seems to run just fine though.

Windows 7 is probably the way to go though, so close to being released there really is a good reason to hold out, RC is pretty stable so you could use it till it comes out, there is the Vista 90 day trial as well, so you could just give it a go and see how it works out for you, you don't even need a key, just download the ISO and install!
 
You said one of the reasons for having the extra ram is gaming. Keep in mind that a 32-bit game, even under a 64-bit OS, can still only access two gigs of ram just due to being a 32-bit executable.

If the game is very memory intensive, it is probably marked LAA and has access to all 4GB.
 
XP x64 was a great OS. driver support wasnt the best but i had no problems at all over 3 years running it.

i agree with Vista 64 for sure. i havent used W7 full time, but im not against using the beta until it is released. however, people that say it's "right around the corner" may be a bit off. MS announced it a Q3 2009 release last fall so unless they push UP their release schedule (when has that EVER happened?), is is 6 months really "around the corner"??

Vista or Win7 beta for sure.
 
XP x64 isn't a bad OS; I used it as my primary OS on multiple machines for the past year and it worked pretty well. However, unless you have very specific reasons to keep using XP then I'd go for Vista - or Windows 7 if you want the newest and don't mind beta.
 
He wants it for gaming and virtualisation, so it's got to be fast and stable. In my experience XP Pro is more stable than Vista Home Premium and I've had numerous issues with Vista I just didn't have with XP (including the infamous KSOD and throttling of network transfers).
Disable TCP IP compression and file transfer compression. And I've never even heard of KSOD (had to look it up, never heard of it until now).

Disable TCP tuning
Disable File x-fer compression
 
Congratulations, worst thread advice award winner. It's very common knowledge somehow not so common to you that XP64 is the worst x64 OS out there right now due to driver and compatibility issues that vendors didn't care much about since they were devoting resources to Vista.

Vista x64 is your safest bet OP, but Win7 x64 is a fairly safe risk being heavily based on the tried and true Vista x64. You will just have to reinstall when the trial ends of course.

Somehow I get the impression that many of you don't know much about Win7 if you think it's so much better then Vista. It's better BECAUSE it's based on Vista and has had years of refinement by now.

QFT

XP x64 is the worst OS right now simply because TODAY there are better options.
 
QFT

XP x64 is the worst OS right now simply because TODAY there are better options.

Its the cheapest out of all of them, probably next to free. I run xp x64 pro and it runs everything smooth as butter. Only thing missing is dx10. It handles everything just like xp. Holding out until windows 7. No reason to go vista. It would be a waste right now. Windows 7 is like vista 2.0. I wouldn't get vista right now. Cheapest way would be just to stick with what you have for now.
 
Except that if you go vista you may be eligible for an upgrade to Win7.

BTW how is it cheaper?, newegg has the OEM version at 139 dlls vs 99 for vista home premium
 
He wants it for gaming and virtualisation, so it's got to be fast and stable. In my experience XP Pro is more stable than Vista Home Premium and I've had numerous issues with Vista I just didn't have with XP (including the infamous KSOD and throttling of network transfers).

I've had quite a different expirence. Xp Pro x64 was very unstable on my machine. Then i put vista hp x32 on here, and it's way more stable. Yes, (not to get into the ram debate) it uses more ram and is bigger, but *much* more stable for me. When i was in XP, i was having issues and always felt like something was going to fail. But, i feel much safer and better with vista right now.

About 7, i cant say anything really about that. I've only run it in a VM for a while. not an actual install.

Anyways... use what you have until 7
 
If one does any comparison between XP64 and Vista 64, you will find that Vista 64 is the better OS to have. For me, I have never had issues with Vista 64 since my system is either new or all the applications are up to date where those with older systems and programs had some issues.

XP64 has been problematic in the past, but Vista 64 is now a more matured OS that plays games very well. You will have to get an OS so think carefully. Windows 7 though free beta, still has some growing pains for some, and final will come out perhaps at the end of the year so its up to you which one to get. Windows 7 RC may come out in April or May depending on Microsoft and what ever they need to do to it and this is the one I will try over Beta versions today.
 
Personally, I don't see the point of putting XP on any newly built system. If you don't want to go Vista just because 7 is around the corner then why not just use the latest 7 beta (7057) and get it when it's finally released.

This.
 
Tell me about it. I'm setting up XP as we speak so I can play BF2 and wanting to throw up. I wish PB worked right on Windows 7 :mad:
 
I would wait for Win 7, Vista 64 would be a waste at this point. Vista 64 is very stable though and a good OS. Those who still rally against it have no idea what they're talking about.
 
Vista has been proven (to be sh*t) and 7 is still a beta. XP Pro x64 is based on Server 2k3 so it's the most stable option of the 3.
Windows Vista is also based directly on Server 2003. Think before you speak.

Ok lets play the compare-with-a-Server game. Vista is based on 2008.

Whoa, see what I did there?
Oh, I see what you did, you attempted to make a good point but fell flat on the actual execution.

Operating systems based on Windows Server 2003: Windows XP 64bit, Windows Vista 32bit, Windows Vista 64bit, Windows Home Server.

Operating systems based on Windows Vista: Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 32bit, and Windows 7 64bit.
 
Back
Top