Windows updates spinning up all of my hard drives?

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
I noticed that installing Windows updates causes all of my drives to spin up. MSE does the same thing when it installs its frequent updates. It should only need to access my C: (SSD) so ideally installing updates would only affect that drive. Is there any way to prevent every drive in the system from spinning up when updates occur?

this is only addressing MSE. If MSE is anything like the current forefront in what it scans, there is a another side called the security state assessment scan that will scan for security flaws like if a disk is not ntfs and a whole bunch of other stuff. This scan runs totally separate from the antivirus part and does not notify the user when it is in progress.

it uses other drives to store temp files, at least for me i have found those long folders like

jasmkvciyadmknaffwdf

or something when an update is downloading / installing.

I noticed that installing Windows updates causes all of my drives to spin up. MSE does the same thing when it installs its frequent updates. It should only need to access my C: (SSD) so ideally installing updates would only affect that drive. Is there any way to prevent every drive in the system from spinning up when updates occur?

Could try autopatcher.. they now support win7

Back