Windows Updates and AMD Kaveri

illram

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone else have windows updates brick your Kaveri computer? I heard my A10-7800 fan going crazy last night while working on another computer, switched over to it, and got a black screen. I've been getting the update nag on that PC, so figured it was busy doing its thing, so left it overnight.

Sure enough, tried it again this morning, CPU fan is still going full blast (it NEVER goes full blast) and black screen. Rebooting, removing all USB peripherals, trying to boot from a recovery USB etc. etc....nada. Dead. No post, nothing. Black screen, but powers on. I see online there have been some issues with Windows 10 not playing nice with AMD APU's, so I am wondering if anyone else here has heard of this issue or had something similar happen? If so how did you resolve it? I kind of figure I am up shit creek without a paddle here.

Everything is backed up, but still a pain in the ass.

a windows update should not affect post or cause hardware issues. have you tried clearing the cmos and test/replace the battery.
so is it working now?

Cleared CMOS, no joy. :(

I have no idea what else could have done it, it was on and working fine one minute and then later, it's toast.

Back