Windows update... Win98 still supported?

Devnull

[H]F Junkie
If I load win98 onto an older machine of mine, I am wondering will I be able to use windows update? With all the bugs and exploits I wouldn't want to leave it as it out of the box. how about ME? Or is it just 2k and newer? I doubt it would handle 2k.

Yes windows update supports windows 98, just no new updates are being made for that OS. It is considered obsolete. Only Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro, Windows 2000 Server Family, and Windows 2003 Server Family have current patches either in development, or out (< 1 Month Old)

Windows 2000 is now considered obsolete, and is being phased out. MS doesn't make any new copies, only for special clients. I know that HP and Dell only ship Windows XP, W2K Server, W2K3 Server.

Microsoft, at last check extended support for Windows 98,ME until 2005/2006.
So yes, to my knowledge they're still updating it.

10. Does the extended support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me worldwide mean you&#8217;ll continue to address security issues?
Yes. Microsoft will review any critical security issues and take appropriate steps. Non-security hotfixes are not offered during this support period.

From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=LifeWinExtndFAQ

Yes they will update CRITICAL security flaws only, no other hot fixes. Only current hot fixes will be avaliable. I was wrong in my original assessment, but as per Microsofts mouth, this is mainly for "... in some markets &#8212; particularly smaller and emerging markets".

I also double checked, you can still purchase Windows 2000 from Retailers but the Big OEM's are only shipping with Windows XP. Get 2K while you can, but I think that XP is the better choice.

Cheers,

Back