Windows Update-Vista SP1 stuck @ 95% then fails

wrangler

2[H]4U
Guess I had more than the allowed language packs so I was one to have to wait till April 15th. I know I could have downloaded it but I figured what the hell, I'll let update handle it.

Well, just like clock work SP1 shows up so I happily choose to update to SP1 and after it sits there for 10 minutes it finally starts downloading saying I need around 150Mbs or so. It is going a little slow and it's late so I just leave it to do it's thing. Next day it says SP1 failed with code 80070570. This number has no information associated with it so I have no Idea what it means so I reboot and try again, it sits there for 10 minutes and then gives me the message that I need 150MB or so and 95% downloaded and I think OK here we go but then........ Same thing. Fail with error code 80070570. I have chkdsk'd and a bunch of other stuff including the memory checker and everything checks out OK.

I have a feeling the download was corrupted. Is there a way to erase the 95% and make update restart from scratch.

What would you do?

I just did a quick search, and most hits are dealing with corrupted files. I'd probably download the full SP1 and install manually.

OK, tried the 5 language stand alone install.
It will not install on my system because I have other than the allowed 5 language packs installed on my system.

I didn't know any better so when I installed Vista and started doing updates I just went ahead and installed all the language packs so when I'm surfing I don't get stopped for the "you must have the Mandarin Chinese language pack to view this website correctly" bullshit.

Maybe I'll have to wait until they release the stand alone for the second wave.

Thanks for the help so far.

If that is causing the hang up, why not just remove the language packs?

Might be what I have to do. I think I would just wipe the whole thing if it comes down to that. However. I'd bet a dollar theres a way to delete the 95% thats already downloaded and fool update into thinking it needs to do it again and get a good download this time. I just must not be searching properly. Funny though how when your trying to find the answer to one problem you find a gold mine of other stuff. I must have saved 50 pages of Vista stuff that I was like "damn, I didn't know that"!

No joy on my current issue though.

OK then.

Go to services and stop windows update.

Navigate to C:/Windows and delete SoftwareDistribution.

Restart windows update.

Go to windows update and search for updates.

Wallah, now doanloading 121.5 Mb's......currently at 6%.

Wish me luck.

Back