Windows Update questions with WSUS

Soldier101

Gawd
I work in an office and I manage the network here. They get pissed because they see that little "you have updates available" pop up every ten minutes while they are giving presentations in the boardroom. I told them to let the updates install but that wasn't good enough.

How do I force these things to install or to not prompt that updates are available and just auto install when they try to shut the computer down?

You can use group policy to force the installation and potential reboot in the middle of the night if you desire.

You can use group policy to force the installation and potential reboot in the middle of the night if you desire.

That is how I have it setup now....setup to install updates and force restart at 2 AM.....apparently some machines are missing them.

I'd check the event log to see what is going on that is preventing the install and reboot. Make sure domain policy isn't overriding the local, other apps aren't trying to update or scan at the same time-frame like antiv, etc, etc...

MS Technet forums would probably be able to help out with the more obscure failures.

If I remember right there is a GP setting to turn off notifications like that for the updates.

Computer Config -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

"Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations" enable and set to 1440 minutes (disabled or not configured uses the default 10 minutes).

"Configure Automatic Updates" we have set to "4 - Auto download and schedule the install" with set to install every day at 11:00am

"No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates" is set to Enabled.

You could possible even set the "Delay Restart for scheduled installations" to 1440 minutes. Default is 15 minutes.

Back