Windows Update Problem

djnes

Fully [H]
What would cause this to happen? I run Windows Update, and it shows me I need 10 critical updates. I click to download them and install, but I get a failed message next to downloading each of them. I've tried them one at a time, same result. I've cleared my cache and history, checked for spyware and viruses, and defragged the drive. I've manually downloaded the KB files for each of the 10 updates, and installed them one at a time. Each time I do, and reboot, Windows Updates shows one less critical update, so I know my system can accept the updates just fine. I have also tried different Automatic Update settings, and no matter how it's configured the updates fail.

This is XP Pro SP2 Corporate....nothing odd or hacked, etc.

Well, I'm up to six of the updates manually downloaded and installed without issue. 4 remaining.

Try using CCleaner to clear out ALLLLLL temp stuff. I know windowsupdate downloads and puts things into a temp folder, but for the life of me I can't remember where.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

That guy will clear out everything :).

All are installed manually without issue. Very weird. I had used CCleaner on a previous build and liked it....should have installed it on this one.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193385

Clear the Contents of the WindowsUpdate Folder
1. Click Start, click Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. In the left pane, double-click the Program Files folder.
3. In the left pane, double-click the WindowsUpdate folder.
4. In the right pane, click the V4 folder, click Edit, and then click Invert Selection.
5. Press DELETE, and then click Yes to confirm.
6. Open the V4 folder, then in the right pane, click to select the IUHIST.XML file, click Edit, and then click Invert Selection.
7. Press DELETE, and then click Yes to confirm.
Note When you delete the IUHIST.XML file from the WindowsUpdate folder, you clear the whole Windows Update installation history. Microsoft does not recommend that you do this because you lose your record of previous downloads. The steps in this section delete all your files except the IUHIST.XML file.

Phoenix86 said:
Note When you delete the IUHIST.XML file from the WindowsUpdate folder, you clear the whole Windows Update installation history. Microsoft does not recommend that you do this because you lose your record of previous downloads. The steps in this section delete all your files except the IUHIST.XML file.[/i]

What if I have absolutely nothing in that folder? Theres not even a V4 folder.

Is there a V5 folder? The new version of windows update is v5 I think, and this article probably came out when V4 was the current.

Direwolf20 said:
Is there a V5 folder? The new version of windows update is v5 I think, and this article probably came out when V4 was the current.
Yeah, looks like the doc is out of date. I'd suspect that's the case (V5), but I don't see it...

Perhaps, rename the directory (program files\windowsupdate) and see if it'll reinstall windows update.

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download is the new download folder, I found it while having the same problem. I have most of my updates installed now, but it's still not downloading everyhting.

Back