Windows Update now phoning home?!?

Kong

Limp Gawd
I use ZoneAlarm Pro and for the first time the Windows Update Install procedure was trying to communicate to over the Internet as ZA caught it and asked whether to give it permission. It was quite a lengthy upload whatever was sent. I went ahead and let it but wish I had not. Anyone else catch this and know what and why this is now occuring. It has never happen before.

Caught it with zone alarm standard on win98. I also wonder what it was sending.

Mcafee Firewall 4 caught it too. Started doing that in augest when i got the MSblaster patches, does it only on certain patches it seems.

Mabey its telling them if your using auto update or not?

Call my paranoid but i shut off that auto update palestinian,peter jennings,what the crap.. they're watching you.. especially if you have a bootleg copy of XP.. or are using the same copy legal of XP on two different machines.. microsoft doesn't like that.

Honestly, all my experiences with updates have gone sour.. something always seems to go wrong when i update.. so i just quite on microsoft... i really do think they got sloppy programming. They fix one thing and break 3 other things.

It would be nice to have an alternative OS that is not as hard as linux, and not as simple as the Apple line of OSes

second tuesday of every month i believe is windows update day. I do it manually as well. Dont like auto update.

I noticed this too... I never let it contact, and declined permission with zonealarm. lol But yea, I don't like auto updates either. I used to do them all the time, and when I went to upgrade to SP1, I got the partial SP1 download, and it didn't work well at all... so I went with the full SP1 download, and still didn't work well. So I just went without the SP1 patch for awhile. Well, I recently reformated about a month ago, didn't do any auto updates, and just went straight for the SP1 patch, and it went smoothly and works fine. Has all the same software running as when I tried the first time, so I think it had to do with the auto updates. And now, I update using the Update Windows shortcut inside of IE, and pick what I want.

I would advise downloading critcal updates that patch big security holes though... dont want for a service pack!

and install them prior to attaching to the internet
the DCOM exploit (MSBlaster Worm) has something like a less than 10 minutes till infection without the patch

and always attach to the internet only after your behind a firewall (either hardware, software or both) You can have your IP harvested within minutes if not

"how come my firewall log says Im getting repeatedly slammed from China?" :p

More Config and Security Info

Back